Frizzled Serama pullet

Valley chick

Chirping
Jun 17, 2020
Northern California
Hi, I'm hoping to get more information on Seramas, I just acquired my first serama, she is 5 months, I'm hoping to put her in with my 4 month old silky and bantam polish, and eventually all of them once their friends introduced by divided run to another very small silky hen and frizzled bantam cochin, I have a covered run with a enclosed hen house, no rooster, I have read they don't do well in the cold, I live in Northern California, summer is 110+, thankfully I have lots of shade,and winters can be down to mid 20's at times during Dec - Feb.
The plan would be they all sleep together in their hen house full of shavings my older couple being 1 & 2 years old,sleep together all snuggled together , will she be ok I have frizzles so they stay dry in their covered run and siding is on the sides for wind block, I m feeding layer crumble my little ones prefer, she seems fine on it ,but I've only had her 2 days, she is currently in quarantine to be sure she's in good shape and I've brought her in at night so she gets use to me and doesn't have to be alone.
She wasn't planned , she was the only one her age, breeder had very young and older, she was odd ball and all were the same color, so since I had 2 young ones close to her age the plan would be putting them together mine are all just spoiled pets so any information on Seramas would be helpful for cold weather, feed , etc.I have had many breeds of bantams, but this is my first Serama, which has been on my wish list and to get frizzled how could I resist. Thank you for any help , much appreciated

I have lots of seramas, some silkied, but no frizzles. I do have frizzled bantam cochins though. I don’t think you will have any issues in the winter. Mine are quite hardy, and most sleep outside of their coop, up on roosts inside the run. (Our temp ranges are similar to yours)

Wind control and keeping dampness away from them is key in the winter, but overall they are much more capable than given credit. Frizzles may be a little more susceptible to the cold, since more of their skin can be reached by wind, but I think your setup sounds fine. Especially if they bond and cuddle. I did have one silkied serama rooster that was an outcast in a bachelor pen that did not handle cold temps alone, and I had to keep him inside at night when it got super cold. I found him near death one morning, but after I started bringing him in over nights, he was fine.

Back
Top Bottom