From 4 eggs a day to ?????

Quote:
Where can I get this? Is it a standard item at the feed store? Any particular brand you recommend??

I can't remember whether I got mine at the local feed and seed or Tractor Supply, but it is in a yellow foil type package and clearly says Vitamins and Electrolytes. It was about 5 bucks and correctly diluted lasts a LONG time.

Important... I found a post on here yesterday where the same thing happened and apparently you need to 'worm' the chickens if that happens? Then, of course, when they start laying again, you shouldn't eat the eggs for a while. But you might check that out. But I think you can get the dewormer at the feed store. Please let me/us know how that works! jennifer

[email protected] :

Important... I found a post on here yesterday where the same thing happened and apparently you need to 'worm' the chickens if that happens? Then, of course, when they start laying again, you shouldn't eat the eggs for a while. But you might check that out. But I think you can get the dewormer at the feed store. Please let me/us know how that works! jennifer

Wormed em recently. We live in a worm free environment. I wish it was worms. they are pretty easy to spot and pretty easy to deal with. I am afraid it is simply Mother Nature and her desire for a sauna here in SC. Maybe if I brought her flowers and chocolates.......
hu.gif

We had a week in the northeast here a couple of weeks ago with temps in the 100s and no one was laying. Mostly they were panting. I spritzed them with the hose a little, which they didn't like much, but it cooled them down and since I was afraid they might not be drinking enough, I've been giving them tomatoes and watermelon both of which they love to increase their water and vitamin intake. It's still been in the 90s for the last week, and we've had eggs.

Quote:
Where can I get this? Is it a standard item at the feed store? Any particular brand you recommend??

Any Tractor Supply or maybe your local feed store. If not most hatcheries online sell them. No brand in paticular, just make sure it is safe for use on poultry.

Do make sure they have good shade. The thing with shade, is that as the sun moves, it can disappear. Go out to your run, at different times of the day, and check how much shade they have, you might be surprized how little there is at certain times of the day. Shade can make a big difference.

Mrs.K

Mrs. K :

Do make sure they have good shade. The thing with shade, is that as the sun moves, it can disappear. Go out to your run, at different times of the day, and check how much shade they have, you might be surprized how little there is at certain times of the day. Shade can make a big difference.

Mrs.K

One half of my run, about 600 sf total, is completely covered forest canopy of oaks and hickory. Shade all day long. My sons and I were out under it today with the chickens, and it is at least 10 degrees cooler in the woods. When a breeze comes along it is actually quite nice. I turned a spinkler on in the sunny part of the run and some of them went and took a quick shower while others opted for the "lay right here and pant" option. They are eating well and drinking tons so I can't worry too much. I did get 1 egg today!! Another of my layers is acting like she wants to, but isn't quite in the mood yet.......remembering of course that hens are female.
big_smile.png

It is supposed to cool of tomorrow. Can't wait.​

It's crazy, cause here in central texas it is about 99 degrees, and today I got 6, yes count them, 6 eggs!
woot.gif
They have been consistently laying like this and it's sooo hot, I can't believe it - and here we thought we had all rosters!~ j

Back
Top Bottom