From city to FARM...our story

Msoul

Chirping
Oct 11, 2020
Georgia
Alright so we probably set to early, but the temp, and humidity were stable for hours so we are taking the chance...we have set 11 eggs. 2 came from one of my EE and the rest came from my barred rock and maybe a few from my SS we suspect. I have not had time to separate my roos into separate pens with their mates yet that I want so these babies if they work out will be my muts ;) but I am hoping for the best! My 11 year old son loved help setting and he is just as excited.
20201018_212959.jpg

Msoul

Chirping
Oct 11, 2020
Georgia
I guess today is official day 1 of the eggs in the incubator, since they were set so late yesterday. Once I have read everything I think I could possibly read on BYC regarding incubation I find something else :caf I have learned it is not ideal to set eggs that are from newer laying hens. Well that being said, I am going to try not to keep my hopes up with this batch, but you never know! Also trying to explain reality to my son of what might hatch and not and how reproduction works...well thats another story that is way to long for this post as he still thinks the hens are getting piggy back rides from the roosters:lau ill keep you posted have a great night.

TwoCrows

Winter is here!
BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
Mar 21, 2011
New Mexico, USA
My Coop
I guess today is official day 1 of the eggs in the incubator, since they were set so late yesterday. Once I have read everything I think I could possibly read on BYC regarding incubation I find something else :caf I have learned it is not ideal to set eggs that are from newer laying hens. Well that being said, I am going to try not to keep my hopes up with this batch, but you never know! Also trying to explain reality to my son of what might hatch and not and how reproduction works...well thats another story that is way to long for this post as he still thinks the hens are getting piggy back rides from the roosters:lau ill keep you posted have a great night.
Love the piggy back rides. :gig

I will be following along, sending you great hatching vibes! :jumpy

Msoul

Chirping
Oct 11, 2020
Georgia
Have you cracked any eggs to check for fertility? Typically incubating first eggs is a complete waste od time.
Good morning, no we did not. I understand that should have been the process to check, but my son was excited and to be honest so was I since this is our first time, we did not have very many eggs to start with so it was worth a shot. I also wanted to get a feel of how to work the incubator. I am happy that I did though, I am learning it is alot harder to keep the humidity level stable to where it should be especially at night seems to be an issue. So this is a good learning experience for me on the machine :)

TwoCrows

Winter is here!
BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
Mar 21, 2011
New Mexico, USA
My Coop
Good morning, no we did not. I understand that should have been the process to check, but my son was excited and to be honest so was I since this is our first time, we did not have very many eggs to start with so it was worth a shot. I also wanted to get a feel of how to work the incubator. I am happy that I did though, I am learning it is alot harder to keep the humidity level stable to where it should be especially at night seems to be an issue. So this is a good learning experience for me on the machine :)
There could still be a few fertile eggs, the first hatch is always a learning experiment, with each hatch you get better at it. :)

Msoul

Chirping
Oct 11, 2020
Georgia
Evening everyone. Its been a long day between work and trying to help my son with online school I feel like I cant keep up sometimes:thI will make it though. It rained most of the day here but I managed to get a quick picture before the rain this morning of Dolores and Irene those two are sneaky! I have them in a separate coop with my ducks next to the older chickens to introduce them slowly. Well this morning I came out and BAM they have smuggled their way into the big coop and were sneaking a early morning snack no biggie the big ones didnt seem to mind. Have a great night yall!
20201019_125811.jpg

Top Bottom