From the Darkside

Enigmius

Songster
Jan 5, 2018
Mansfield, Tx
It was a long time ago just remember being warned about the trees with thorns. Do you grow cumquat too? Gosh it’s been so long when I ate these two fruits. I use to love the dates from the date palm too just don’t get things like this in mountains of NC.
No. I want a meiwa Kumquat, but I haven’t been able to get one yet. Texas doesnot allow shipment of citrus trees in or out of Texas. It makes it difficult at times. You have to get Budwood that has been screened by a particular lab to bring in new cultivars. It’s a pain

Enigmius

Songster
Jan 5, 2018
Mansfield, Tx
They don't even stock them in nurseries where they have grown them? That's too bad.
They do, but I’ve just been unlucky to acquire them when local nurseries get their shipments from Texas propagators. My luck. I’ll get one soon though, because I’m real committed to getting one now. I even asked the local Calloway nursery to call me when their citrus plants arrive for the season.

Sep 2, 2018
Big Chimney, WV
My Coop
My Coop
No. I want a meiwa Kumquat, but I haven’t been able to get one yet. Texas doesnot allow shipment of citrus trees in or out of Texas. It makes it difficult at times. You have to get Budwood that has been screened by a particular lab to bring in new cultivars. It’s a pain
Woopsy! I didn't know that! - My Satsuma mandarin was Florida native… 🤫

Enigmius

Songster
Jan 5, 2018
Mansfield, Tx
Woopsy! I didn't know that! - My Satsuma mandarin was Florida native… 🤫
it’s only in the last couple of years because an insect is spreading a disease calledhuánglóngbìng)citrus greening. It is threatening the survival of commercial grown citrus in Florida, California, and now Texas.

once a tree is infected it will only live for 5 or so years with increasingly bitter fruit. There is no cure for it as of yet, and when you consider that it takes 5-12 years for a citrus tree grown from seed to fruit... well, you see the problem. Grafting infected Budwood to healthy trees only infects the new tree.
It’s getting crazy. I mean can you imagine a world with out citrus?

Sep 2, 2018
Big Chimney, WV
My Coop
My Coop
it’s only in the last couple of years because an insect is spreading a disease calledhuánglóngbìng)citrus greening. It is threatening the survival of commercial grown citrus in Florida, California, and now Texas.

once a tree is infected it will only live for 5 or so years with increasingly bitter fruit. There is no cure for it as of yet, and when you consider that it takes 5-12 years for a citrus tree grown from seed to fruit... well, you see the problem. Grafting infected Budwood to healthy trees only infects the new tree.
It’s getting crazy. I mean can you imagine a world with out citrus?
OK, we got oor Satsuma tree/shrub in 2009, probably before those bugs appeared on the radar. Hell! That is a bad disease! A psyllid infecting the citrus trees with a bacteria. ☹ That's new, as if the psyllids aren't bad enough on their own. And according to Wikipedia there is not much hope to stop this, other than using tons of pesticides (sooner or later the insects will adapt) or antibiotics (sooner or later the bacteria will adapt).
That is so similar to the Panama Disease of the banana plants and it is all our fault because we clone the successful plant breeds over and over, disrupting the normal reproduction cycle that would help the plant's immune system to adapt.
No citrus and no bananas in the future, what's next? Pineapples, potatoes or avocado?

Enigmius

Songster
Jan 5, 2018
Mansfield, Tx
OK, we got oor Satsuma tree/shrub in 2009, probably before those bugs appeared on the radar. Hell! That is a bad disease! A psyllid infecting the citrus trees with a bacteria. ☹ That's new, as if the psyllids aren't bad enough on their own. And according to Wikipedia there is not much hope to stop this, other than using tons of pesticides (sooner or later the insects will adapt) or antibiotics (sooner or later the bacteria will adapt).
That is so similar to the Panama Disease of the banana plants and it is all our fault because we clone the successful plant breeds over and over, disrupting the normal reproduction cycle that would help the plant's immune system to adapt.
No citrus and no bananas in the future, what's next? Pineapples, potatoes or avocado?
yeah, it’s pretty bad.
I knew about the cavendish banana problem. I’m not sure why that variety was chosen as the commercial banana as there are far superior banana varieties out there with more flavor.
But I guess in the commercial trade, transportability and shelf life rules out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom