From the Darkside

Enigmius

Songster
Jan 5, 2018
Mansfield, Tx
Btw, one of my chocolate runner girls is making that occasional weird high pitch hiccup sound. It doesn’t happen Salk the time, just random through the day. She had this, or one of the chocolates, had this before last year and then it stopped. I still don’t know what it is though and that makes me nervous. I tried to capture it on video, but wouldn’t you know it; she won’t perform when I want her to. She is acting normal however..

Sep 2, 2018
Big Chimney, WV
My Coop
My Coop
yeah, it’s pretty bad.
I knew about the cavendish banana problem. I’m not sure why that variety was chosen as the commercial banana as there are far superior banana varieties out there with more flavor.
But I guess in the commercial trade, transportability and shelf life rules out.
The Cavendish was chosen because of its thick peel, which makes transports to Europe much more efficient, less packing material, its just banana on banana, can't do this with other varieties.
If you ever are in the Houston area, visit a Food Town and buy some of the banana varieties they carry. I really wish we had a Food Town here in Charleston!

Sae

Chirping
Jan 7, 2020
Ontario, Canada
I think one of my black runners laid her first egg today, because it is a dark grey color. None of my chocolate runners every laid this color before. Is it normal for a black runner to lay this color, or does it mean she has a bit of Cayuga somewhere on her genetic line?
So cool! I got cayugas and was hopin to get a black egg, i did some reading and apparently indian runners will also lay that color. Especially a black indian runner

Attachments

Sep 2, 2018
Big Chimney, WV
My Coop
My Coop
I've heard mine do that usually when they have been scarfing down food like crazy . I don't think its a worry unless you begin to see other symptoms. Even heard my chickens do it. Sure are pretty!
Almost all of my ducks did that occasionally in their first year of life. It might just be a slip-back into their duckling voice, sometimes really funny when you have a humongous White Layer duck quacking at you in all seriousness and then suddenly a "peep" in between all the "quacks".

Top Bottom