From the suburbs and struggling internally with making the plunge into keeping (and slaughtering) meat birds. Need advice!

Pics
I like to tell people like that this. Those cute "smart" pigs, or chickens? They will EAT YOU given the chance, and feel nothing about doing so.
Yeah no disrespect to any of these animals. They are all smart and beautiful creatures in their own ways. But all living creatures will kill a weaker species if they need to eat. At the end of the day, that's that and there's nothing wrong with it. As long as people aren't torturing animals for fun before eating them, there's no problem in my eyes.

Yeah no disrespect to any of these animals. They are all smart and beautiful creatures in their own ways. But all living creatures will kill a weaker species if they need to eat. At the end of the day, that's that and there's nothing wrong with it.

And that's why I didn't kill the black rat snake that ate 5 of my new chicks.

It's my job to make my brooder snake-proof if I can. The snake normally performs the valuable service of eating vermin but it took an opportunity (I'm still not 100% sure how it got in).

It's intended to be an intimate moment where you acknowledge that this animal is a gift from our Creator and approaching the act with all respect is the largest part of it. My process centers around the bird's calmness couples with a quick dispatch.
Would you mind sharing how you get the bird calm before dispatch? And what method of dispatch you find to be most humane?

Also, and this is a question for anyone, are you standoffish with your meat chickens as you raise them, or is it beneficial to interact with them so they are comfortable with you when you handle them during processing?

I gave up using tractors with the CX I just dont have enough flat ground. To not kill the grass you would need enough space for daily or 2x daily moves with no overlaps for 30-60 days before you repeat the same patch of ground.

When we do meat birds, either (occasionally) Cornishx or Freedom Rangers, it's in groups of 25, and a 8'x 16' hoop house tractor, which we move around the yard, on lawn, as needed. We do limited free range around that tractor, and can haul it either by hand or with the lawn tractor, every three to five days, as the birds are growing/ pooping. It's fertilizer, and the grass does just fine. We never let one location get ugly, so no problem.
The chicks are in our stock tank brooder in the garage for maybe two weeks, then out there with their heat source on a heavy duty extension cord for another two weeks or so.
It's all not predator proof, but so far never had a problem at night. It's near our bedroom windows, so close to the house and dogs.
Cornishx chicks really can't handle hot weather, very true!
Mary
Also, for Cornishx, restrict food overnight after three weeks of age. Helps reduce their awful heart failure and joint problems.
Thank you for all the detailed info! You all have been so helpful.

4-5 will be fine. And much easier to keep up on then 50. Just keep in mind by 4-5 wks they will be as big if not bigger then laying hens. But they wont move around as much. They WILL graze some if given the oppertunity.
Thanks! Do you think 4-5 in a chicken tractor will still kill all the grass in my small-ish backyard?

Back
Top Bottom