Front Walkway (PIX)

Quote:
We live in central Tucson, Country Club and Glenn area. My water bills.. in the winter are about $60.00. And in the Summer.... well, I try to keep it under $100.00 so my husband doesn't complain too much. A few years ago I went from about $70.00 one month to $400.00 the next month!! And he had a spaze attack! I was sure there was a water leak. But, there wasn't. (But I did have a BEAUTIFUL ENGLISH COUNTRY GARDEN going!! Plus corn and squash plants.)

My husband said " I know where the leak is... OUT THE END OF YOUR HOSE!!" Then he added "Heidi, not even the Holy One Himself attempts to have such a garden in the Sonoran Desert!"

Being an Electronic Engineer, he designed a computer program for me that keeps track of my water use, all I have to do is put in the water meter readings, and it tell me how much water I can use daily to stay at the "negotiated" amount.

I haven't heard if the rates went up the other day. The sewer rates are what kills me, they are about $60 bucks I know I am not putting that kind of water in the sewer system!! The cost of water, really is pretty cheap when you look at the bill, it is the trash and sewer rates that are what makes the bill so high.

My neighbor has a "Secret Garden", across the street from me, she has regular morning glories growing there (Shhhh!) But they were able to get a special water rate because it is just a garden no sewer service. Plus her husband installs drip irrigation for a living, so her plants always look great!! She had over 50 watermelons two years ago, from only three plants!! We were still getting melons from her in Dec!!

See...so far, even with 3 teen boys..I have been able to keep our water bill below $40...I am curious as to what having the chickens will do..it already went up $10 just from watering the few herbs and bougenvilea we have...I want to start a garden but I am afraid too. I would totally FREAK if my water bill hit $400!! Do you know what type Morning Glories those are? Did you buy them as a plant? If so, they should be Blue Dawn.

Very nice!
love.gif

Pretty garden.

We are lucky to still have a well here, but the goverment wants to tax us soon.
Pay about 25 dollars a month for water!!!!!!!!!*(electric for pump)
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
The Morning Glory vines I got from a fellow a few blocks away from me. I drove by his house and saw the flowers blooming and asked him about them. He told me "Take all the cutting you want!!

They grow quickly once the weather heats up, but, they can be invasive. They never get seeds, just start to get roots when they touch the ground. They die back if there is a frost, but come back in the Spring.

Quote:
From what I understand, we are still able to put in wells if we want, but... I wonder if they have some sort of tax or fee? We are not too far from the river, and the larger trees have obviously found underground "channels" since they stay green and don't get anything but rain water. (which can be less than 12 inches a year, most of it coming in the Monsoon Season, and it runs off before it can soak in most of the time.

Quote:
From what I understand, we are still able to put in wells if we want, but... I wonder if they have some sort of tax or fee? We are not too far from the river, and the larger trees have obviously found underground "channels" since they stay green and don't get anything but rain water. (which can be less than 12 inches a year, most of it coming in the Monsoon Season, and it runs off before it can soak in most of the time.

There wasn't ever a tax for my wells in AZ, just the electric cost, and private upkeep of course. Some of my family here are on city water but mostly use their own well water. Are the trees you mentioned cottonwood trees? They usually grow along washes or rivers because they're huge water hogs, even when the washes are dry...which means you might hit water at much less than 100' if you're real close to the wash. Most wells can pay for themselves in 3-5 years if they're not deep.

rebbetzin, your garden is so pretty. Not sure how long you've lived in AZ but with most of the plants like morning glories, old timers here are usually the main source.
wink.png

Giddy, there's gorgeous desert climate plants that look lush and tropical and use very little water, especially on a drip system, but if you're renting it'd be a shame to have to leave them behind whenever you move. As for using the least amount of water for a food garden, in the ground is the way to go...container gardens and raised beds use lots more water.

Giddy, there's gorgeous desert climate plants that look lush and tropical and use very little water, especially on a drip system, but if you're renting it'd be a shame to have to leave them behind whenever you move. As for using the least amount of water for a food garden, in the ground is the way to go...container gardens and raised beds use lots more water.

Really? I would think it would be the opposite...we are out on the Northwest side.. I miss my Morning Glories so much..drives me crazy..I wondering what the fine is..maybe I will just grow them anyway
roll.png

And yes..I am fine renting for now..but I like to plant. We actually have a $50 credit per mth we get to keep to put back in for our time or things that we do for the property.​

Back
Top Bottom