Frost bite worry? Should I worry?

chickity-chick

Songster
May 1, 2020
Atlanta, GA
Hi all. It has been pouring all day and my chicken run is flooded. They have an eglu cube coop (temporary) while their big one is being built. It’s going to be 19 degrees tomorrow/tonight and not come above 20F all day so it’s going to ice. There are 7 of them that sleep in there but it’s not big enough to hang out in during the day- they are soaking wet right now but have not gone in the coop. There is an overhang cover in the run but it is not 100% waterproof since in some spots drips come in. I am worried that tomorrow will not be ok for them- I really would like to hear what you all think/what I should do. Should I let them sleep in the eglu tonight and then put them in a small pop up dog pen in my house tomorrow? Or just let them be?? Should I sprinkle shaving bedding in the run in the morning to cover some ice? I’m worried and would love advice and guidance. Thank you!

Last edited:
If you only have hens you should be OK if the eglu has good ventilation. I've had 30+ breeds and have only had frostbite on Mediterranean class mature roosters. However, I have huge windows with wind blowing right through down to negative 19. No hens have ever been frostbitten here and it is usually humid.
Do you have big ventilation?

If you only have hens you should be OK if the eglu has good ventilation. I've had 30+ breeds and have only had frostbite on Mediterranean class mature roosters. However, I have huge windows with wind blowing right through down to negative 19. No hens have ever been frostbitten here and it is usually humid.
Do you have big ventilation?
Not in the cube- they only sleep in there. They would be in the ice rain and snow all day with out shelter that’s my worry. The cube is too small to go in except for night. If you google eglu cube chicken coop that is what I’m using temporarily until my large walk in coop gets built. The run is flooded like big puddles past their feet only and that’s gonna turn into ice over night

Do you have a garage or basement that you can put them in temporarily? Sometimes people use pallets for their chickens to walk on to stay out of the mud or water. You might also try to grade the land later, so the water goes away from the run. Sand is good for a run to improve drainage, but continuous water will push it out.

Do you have a garage or basement that you can put them in temporarily? Sometimes people use pallets for their chickens to walk on to stay out of the mud or water. You might also try to grade the land later, so the water goes away from the run. Sand is good for a run to improve drainage, but continuous water will push it out.
Ok yes, I will put them inside tonight and tomorrow then- it’s a small pen but at least they won’t be cold. Thank you!!

How did everyone make out today? I hope your chickens made out overnight and today.
Yes I brought them in around 8:30pm and am so glad I did. Four of the were still soaking wet from the rain and I fear if I hadn’t they would have froze at night! I left them inside until 10:30am and I put them out then. I went outside every hour to de ice their waterers. I think they needed to come in to dry off! It was like icicles in their feathers!! Ahh! So happy I brought them in!

Back
Top Bottom