Frost Bite

Wow, what a huge comb on that leghorn. Terra I would just use the vasoline or bag balm would probably work good to. I dont really see your birds getting frostbite though. You do have good housing for them and they all seem really healthy. Your lucky it stays waarmer over there, it was down in the teens the other night and I have not had a problem at all with frostbite.

Quote:
I do not heat my coop and they do just fine. I do put a heat light near the water to keep it from freezing. If you wanted to you could put up a heat lamp.

So, I know I've seen a thread somewhere about black spots on the comb--is that frost bite? Jupiter seems to have some this morning, but she's nice and toasty most of the time...

Edited to Add: AH HA! From being pecked on the head. That may be it. So does chapstick work for y'all?

Last edited:
I checked my little roo last night and he was fine, we've had some really cold weather, snow ice etc.. over the last few days, and my guy seems just fine...
He's tough to catch, but my hubby picks him up when they all go to roost.... I'll take a dab of bag balm out with me later - just to make sure he stays fine!

Here are photos of my Buck Buck (see Rooster with Waxy Ears). His comb has darkened on the top, but I assumed that was from putting petroleum jelly on his comb before the cold hit and I guessed the darkening was dirt... Is it really frost bite?!
100_1742Small.jpg

he is getting frost bit-I have one looking like that too. This is his (my rooster) second year of getting it. Keep vasilline on it daily.

Back
Top Bottom