Frost bitten comb

It works.......Just another attempt to under mind my practices........Not Daily.........Anyways.......I was Helping....Or trying too......

Cheers!
Just curious how many people do it and how often. I currently have 15 roosters, that would take all day to do as well as a lot of Vaseline. I read about it but it seems it from mostly southern folks who don't get really frigid temperatures.

Quote: Lots do it here when Winter is -30 Celsius.........A few times a week.......I run heat and only keep Birds with smaller Combs......I have one Danish Hen..........

You do not need lots........It does work......

Cheers!
I put it on my Farm dogs toes in the spring to help with ice between the toes.....Also under my Horses hooves to prevent ice balls.....

Anyways.........

Cheers!

Last edited:
I've has roosters get pretty bad frostbite. I've always put a dab of vasoline on their combs and seems to help just fine. I really only do it though if I feel like it is getting a bit out of hand. Other then that I let them figure it out or ill just keep them in their coop for a day or two.

Adding your location would help.......Celsius.....Possibly Canadian?

Anyways.......Vaseline on Combs helps with frostbite.........

Cheers!
Here is two people that do it.

Nobody said every rooster has a frost bitten comb. Chase? Like run after them? LOLOLOL just walk in the coop, put a dab of vasoline on the comb and done.

I have my chickens in an 8 X 12 mini barn with high ceilings. The temps are down to the teens. Their combs are turning whitish. Is this frost bite? Do they need a smaller encloser in order to keep warmer? Is this too large for seven hens?

They hardly ate anything since yesterday. They only ate when I gave them Mac and cheese and their favorite, stale bread.

It could be in on-set of frost bite. I don't think putting them in a smaller enclosure would make a difference. I would just keep an eye on the combs, feed them some corn, and make sure they have luke warm water. If you start getting really concerned maybe throw a heat lamp in there for when the temps really drop. Seems to work for me here in MN!

It could be an on-set of frost bite. I don't think putting them in a smaller enclosure would make a difference. I would just keep an eye on the combs, feed them some corn, and make sure they have luke warm water. If you start getting really concerned maybe throw a heat lamp in there for when the temps really drop. Seems to work for me here in MN!

Last edited:
Something a little more long lasting and effective for frosted combs and wattles is Castor Oil...can get it cheap at any pharmacy and even at Dollar General. It brings blood to the surface and can help prevent and also to restore a recently frosted comb. Need only put it on once or twice a winter if you live in constant subzero temps, take the rooster off the roost at night and apply it. It lasts much, much longer than Vaseline and works better.

Can't really speak of temps that stay that far below zero for that long but good ventilation in the coop helps, no matter the temps.

I'm a lot happier with cockbirds with smaller combs here in Michigan. I don't heat my coop, and the cocks with big single combs would get frostbitten tips in winter. My Chantecler boys are fine! Mary

Back
Top Bottom