Frost white legbar - gender

He's a beautiful boy anyway's! Too bad that you are so far away, or I could offer to trade you my CCLB hen that is laying the blue eggs for him. I already hatched chicks from her and kept my pullets, and I could use him to breed those.
I love to see the networking! And it can be so much fun. :wee

Too many avian diseases floating around... I suggest NEVER bringing in another bird from someone else's pasture... UNLESS you have PROPER space for quarantine. Just not worth the risk to your whole flock, and yours' sounds beautiful. :love

We can have roosters, but I haven't had good luck with them in the past, so I'm hesitant.
This often has to do with new owners misunderstanding roosters and trying to make them into lap pets which most boys will take as a sign of weakness that you are to be dominated ONCE their hormones kick in. They should respect your space and move out of your way. There is lots of information on here to help if he isn't already having issues. But it is a very personal choice... I only keep roosters for breeding, mostly. They are simply NO match for most of my predators. But some have been really good boys, that I very much valued having in my flock. Aside from being beautiful, it's fun to see them search out new nesting sites for the ladies and treat call chicks and all the little things they do... Marans are my favorite this far, but I know ALL are individuals regardless of breed and upbringing. I have had some who were Stew Pidasso's from very young ages, Silkies even! If I wasn't breeding though... *sometimes* hen flock are more peaceful and less work. Good luck whatever you decide! :cool:

Regardless of if you keep him or not, you’re entitled to the refund, you can email those same photos to the hatchery. Was it MY Pet Chicken or Meyer?

It was Meyer. We live in Ohio, so I like that I can drive there to pick my chicks up and they don't go through the mail. I will get in touch with them. :thumbsup

This often has to do with new owners misunderstanding roosters and trying to make them into lap pets which most boys will take as a sign of weakness that you are to be dominated ONCE their hormones kick in. They should respect your space and move out of your way. There is lots of information on here to help if he isn't already having issues. But it is a very personal choice... I only keep roosters for breeding, mostly. They are simply NO match for most of my predators. But some have been really good boys, that I very much valued having in my flock. Aside from being beautiful, it's fun to see them search out new nesting sites for the ladies and treat call chicks and all the little things they do... Marans are my favorite this far, but I know ALL are individuals regardless of breed and upbringing. I have had some who were Stew Pidasso's from very young ages, Silkies even! If I wasn't breeding though... *sometimes* hen flock are more peaceful and less work. Good luck whatever you decide! :cool:

Yep, I agree with you on all of the above. I definitely enjoy the dynamic that a rooster can add to the flock as he looks after the girls. I never had any that were aggressive to me, but had a couple that didn't like my sons. In the end, since we don't breed, it's just easier not to deal with a lot of the other issues like bare backs on his favorite ladies and things like that.

Back
Top Bottom