Frostbite emergency plz help

ejtrout31

Crowing
Aug 13, 2018
Deer River Minnesota
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Puller and cockeral old English game bantams.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
No eating,drinking feet are frost bitten.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
I go the birds this morning from a friend who didn't Kno what to do.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
The 2 makes are slot worse then the female she is eating a little bit.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
Just the frost bite it was -20 this morning.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
She had a wire fence separating a pen and they were roosting on the top.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
The hen has a little bit but not the roos.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Haven't seen any yet
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
There are inside my basement I had them water with electrolytes.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Treat myself
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
They are currently in a wire dog crate in my house.

15764284506802452940144861414984.jpg

If they are really frozen, they may very well turn black, dry up, and eventually fall off. One legged chickens can have some quality of life. Chickens with no feet not so much quality of life. Hopefully they are not totally frozen.

I believe you went through this same thing last winter with another chicken from a neighbor. You probably remember the same treatment that you did last time. Can you get some clear pictures of the legs and feet? Do not rub the feet or legs. Try to keep them dry. Betadine or Vetericyn is used if the skin appears black or purple. Toes or feet if frozen, may fall off in the next month or so. Here is the thread from last Feb for those who haven’t seen it:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/frozen-feet.1291254/

I believe you went through this same thing last winter with another chicken from a neighbor. You probably remember the same treatment that you did last time. Can you get some clear pictures of the legs and feet? Do not rub the feet or legs. Try to keep them dry. Betadine or Vetericyn is used if the skin appears black or purple. Toes or feet if frozen, may fall off in the next month or so. Here is the thread from last Feb for those who haven’t seen it:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/frozen-feet.1291254/
Sadly it's the same neighbor I don't know why she doesn't realize this. So the feet are unthawed and 2 of them will walk around and move eat drink. But the other one is just ayingl there like I has no strength. Should I put it out o it's miseary or give it some more time.

Also I need to help her with her setup. The pen she keeps them in is a run with a couple of tarps around it. The snow still gets in and her birds are getting to cold.

Right now she moved them inside of another pen and locked them is pet carriers for the night but she might keep them free range and give them another shelter. She had another pen she built but it wasn't predator proof and she lost slot of birds.

Back
Top Bottom