Frostbite help!

Let us know how they get along over the next weeks. The combs will probably become smaller and rounded off unfortunately.
Updates are in- many girls lost a few comb tips. A few lost all their tips and I did end up having a rooster and a hen each lose the very end of one toe. They are all healed up and living as if nothing happened at this point. I am thankful nothing got infected and all is well! Phew.

Attachments

• 26A02EC4-60E9-4140-B512-0FBF6A6BD0CF.jpeg
    26A02EC4-60E9-4140-B512-0FBF6A6BD0CF.jpeg
    581.9 KB · Views: 5
Glad to hear that, overall, your flock did well! I, too, found that my hens were largely unscathed. The one who had it the worst lost a few tips. Your bird still looks great, even with her new comb. :) And glad to hear that with even the tips of their toes gone, those birds are doing well too.

What amazed me--and you can tell me if this was your experience--was that the black tissue on my worst-off hen's comb acted as a scab. I assumed any black tissue would be entirely gone. So in my case, I was expecting her to basically have almost no comb left. However, as weeks went on, I noticed the black part just peeled off, little by little. I didn't touch it or apply anything; just kept an eye on it. Underneath each section of black was healthy pink tissue, even little points on her comb (granted, they're smaller now). Amazing!

Chickens never cease to impress me with how hardy and resilient they are.

Back
Top Bottom