Frostbite on Rooster's Wattles?

Here are some photos of the New Hampshire I spoke of. One thing I wish I had at the time were more photos of what to expect. I had not been through it before and "the not knowing what was next" was hard. I hope this helps those of you with some of the more serious frost bit wattles and combs know this is sort of what will happen. And you'll both get through it. ;) Here we are with a first snow fall. Checking it all out as a young curious cockerel. "Pretty Cocky". :gig Wattle Cubes after warm wet food. (Steaming Squash and Oatmeal fall in this category) [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] Swellings is actually starting to come back down in this picture. [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] Starting to dry up and "Wall off" [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] This phase with the eschars drove him nuts. Very itchy. He'd shake his head and I could hear the eschars 'click clicking' together. The hens were my little nurse maids trying to debride him of these. When they did come off there were a few drops of blood. Sort of like thick scabs coming off. [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] Finally everything is off. Lots of loss but very much ready for his next 3 winters. No issues after. Very low maintenance. :D [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR] Another profile pic. Here he's looking at a broody and chicks I'm introducing to him as new flock mates. A very good caring rooster.
Thank you. My Penedescas joins the club from SW Missouri.

@Bogtown Chick Thank you SO much for the pics! I was curious about the whole process and what it would entail and look like so thank you! It's good to know what to expect :)

*update*
Went out to check on everyone and all is good. Lars' wattles aren't as swollen and weren't as cold as yesterday. Comb looks bad but no signs of infection. He seems okay.

Does anyone know if I should keep putting antibiotic ointment and bag balm on everything or just leave it? Temps are in the 30's today and will be for the week

@Bogtown Chick Thank you so much for the pictures! I think May will end up looking very similar. He's his usual, chipper self this morning in the laundry room. He was crowing quite a bit. I turned some Christmas music on for him, and that helped!
1f60a.png
Do you happen to remember how long the whole healing process lasted? I imagine it takes awhile. Also, did you have any problems putting him back outside in the cold once he had been inside a couple of days healing? It's getting into the 40s here tomorrow so I might try it then if everything is looking good. He's still swollen today but maybe not quite as much as yesterday.

High Prairie: I did a thread on it. I won't force you to read it because it's pretty whiny and I look back on it and cringe when I read it. So here are the dates I picked out.

February 4th he's frost bit.
February 7th is that Grayish swelling photo. Although the swelling was more prominant before this that his beak was force open by the swollen wattles.
February 11th still wattles are grayish sacks.
February 14th is that "walling" off photo. Starting to turn black
February 20th is the "Black Eschars" photo
February 22nd the first Eschar comes off.

I think the Eschars were on though a bit longer than 2 or 3 days. Those dates were about when I took photos. So with those sorts of frost burns...you're looking at least 3 weeks of healing time.

We put Roger back out at 3 in the morning after I defrosted him for the day. Because he was crowing in the Kitchen. LOL. DH. Said, --well I won't give you all his words-- Hahaha. But he said get that " *Bleeping* Bird back out to the coop before he's a Game Day Bucket. " Bodily I knew he was fine. Just those frost bites. I would say take advantage of our "heat wave" now and get him right back out. That's where there is less stress for him anyways. High nutritious feeds...back off on the scratch and treats. Make sure they are drinking. Maybe Electrolytes and probiotics to get the most out of the feed. The damage is probably already done and many of the old timers say just let it do it's thing. Dont touch it or do anything with it. I say that too, but keep an eye on it nonetheless. Smell for Rotten chicken, make sure their energy is good. If they are failing, bodily, maybe go ask that vet for antibiotic if they are pets and not really food.

@Bogtown Chick Good stuff! Thanks again! I know he misses his hens so out he goes tomorrow. I'll watch and smell for infection.

@MesMama
I'm happy to hear Lars is doing as well as can be expected!
1f60a.png

@Bogtown Chick Good stuff! Thanks again! I know he misses his hens so out he goes tomorrow. I'll watch and smell for infection.

@MesMama
I'm happy to hear Lars is doing as well as can be expected!
1f60a.png

Thank you! Glad your guy is doing okay too :)

Back
Top Bottom