Frostbite Prevention and Treatment HELP

Let me clarify a few things as some of the responses seem off from the information I provided. There are no vents covered with plastic. I have all 4 sides of the run covered with plastic because I am in Kansas and often have sustained winds of 20mph from all directions. The top of the run in open and not covered, at least 6 square feet of the runs east wall is not covered with plastic due to the coop. From being in the run there is still allot of high level air flow. My coop is not insulated nor heated. There is no heat in the coop, the only heat I provided was the small panel heater in the run which was only on in single digits and below but as I mentioned it did not appear the girls ever got near it. I would love to provide more ventilation in the coop but because of the poor and small construction the previous owner did I am limited to what I have already done. The coop is too small for 6 hens but any further vents would cause drafts across the roosts. I am building a brand new coop which will be 10x4 and ready in the spring but for now I have to make the best of what I inherited. I opted not to use Vaseline as a preventative instead used Sierra Sage Green Goo Animal First Aid Salve as I stated since it is also fortified.
Overcrowding would be your issue then, for sure. More birds=more moisture=more frostbite.

There is little you can do or change during the winter. Great that you are planning on building a new coop when the weather warms up. There is a ton of information on the site to help you build the best coop you can build for your area. The first coop I had was very unsatisfactory. However, I learned from my mistakes. The coop I have now is in its 3rd winter and so far it's a great design.

I have been wondering if adding a barrier, such as the green goo (have read great things about it), would actually prevent frostbite. Or if those of us that have frostbite would have gotten it anyway (due to the circumstances) and those that don't have frostbite, would not regardless of the barrier used or not used on the combs. It seems like you have done the best that you can in regards to the chickens and that you are rectifying their habitat in the spring.
I was told not to touch the comb after frostbite has occurred as it can be painful. I was applying bag balm to my chicken's comb. Are you finding the combs are healing with the green goo?

Last edited:
Are you finding the combs are healing with the green goo?
Yes I have been gently applying a thin layer of green goo every evening andthey actually are healing quite well. We have fortunately had a few days of warmer temps but dropping back to single digits this weekend again. I will take some updated pictures this evening and post them tomorrow as for the healing progress. Thanks

Are you finding the combs are healing with the green goo?
Here are the updated pics I promised. Original on the left update on the right. After 2 days of treatment they appear to be doing really well.
I am still looking for some advice. We did get a bit of a warm up here in Kansas but starting tomorrow the cold and single digits return. I cant make any major improvements until the spring when I install my newly built coop. But for right now I have to make the best of what I was given. I have cut a few more vent holes high in the coop for more ventilation and feel if I cut any lower that it will cause cold drafts across the roost bars at night. I am wanting to try to protect my girls from any further damage or new damage when the cold returns. Any more thoughts? Thanks again to all in the community for their wonderful support.

Dottie-Side-By-Side.jpg Dumpling-Side-By-Side.jpg Gloria1-Side-By-Side.jpg Gloria2-Side-By-Side.jpg

Awe. Poor girls. I was going to put bag balm on my girls last night, but they have all been dust bathing in the wood Ash mixture I've made them. I didn't want the balm to combine with the ash.
I noticed that all 3 of my IBs have frostbite and the EE doesn't because she has a pea comb. The 3 have varying degrees of it due to the size of their Combs.
I really have no advice. But, how is your ventilation?

Last edited:
Awe. Poor girls. I was going to put bag balm on my girls last night, but they have all been dust bayibg in the wood Ash mixture I've made them. I didn't want the balm to combine with the ash.
I noticed that all 3 of my IBs have frostbite and the EE doesn't because she has a pea comb. The 3 have varyig degrees of it due to the size of their Combs.
I really have no advice. But, how is your ventilation?
Sounds like you might need more ventilation yourself!

Back
Top Bottom