Frostbite Prevention and Treatment HELP

Michael Propst

Songster
6 Years
Sep 12, 2017
De Soto, KS 66018
I am looking for any information and assistance on frostbite. I am including several photos of what I have done in prep for winter. This is my first winter with chickens. We just finished a week long of sub-zero and single digit temps here in Kansas. I could use some advise as I had 3 of my 6 get frostbite combs and a few more get a little frostbite on their waddles. A quick history: I inherited the chickens, coop, and run from my neighbors in July when they moved. Everything I received was poorly constructed and I have made many improvements so far. The 4x4 coop at the time I got it had no ventilation, and I have added all that I safely can due to its height and roost draft. For bedding in the coop I have 4 inches of pine shavings and 2 inches of straw. I have wrapped the 9x9 run in 7 mil plastic to prevent wind from blowing through, the top is covered but open for ventilation. I have also placed 6-8 inches of straw in the entire run. I have a heated waterer that is working great, and I did install a cozy coop panel heater in the run which I only turned on during the single digit and below zero days (which may have been a waste as I never really seen them near it, but wanted a little heat available if they choose). I do allow my girls to free range daily almost but with this cold and wind I kept them contained to the run where the wind was blocked. To be honest they had no desire to leave the run with the snow and cold so keeping them in was not a problem for them. Recommended by a friend I was coating their combs and waddles every 2 days with Sierra Sage Green Goo Animal First Aid Salve as a frostbite preventative. I also cleaned all droppings from the coop and run daily. With all of these precautions I still had several get frostbite my 2 Rhode Island Reds have large combs and were greatly affected (pictures attached). If possible I would like feedback on what I did wrong if anything, and also on the severity of the frostbite as I have seen several pics where it just gets the tips and mine are much more affected. Since the onset of the frostbite I have been applying the Sierra Sage Green Goo Animal First Aid Salve daily and they do appear to be getting better looking. Thanks in advance for all of the great knowledge that is shared in this community. BYC has been a true blessing to me and my girls. If you have any questions or need any more details please let me know. It can be so frustrating when you think you are doing everything right and still have a negative outcome. Thanks

20180107_154304.jpg 20180107_154536.jpg 20180107_154542.jpg 20180107_154546.jpg 20180107_154548.jpg 20180107_154806.jpg 20180107_154811.jpg 20180108_095932.jpg 20180108_095948.jpg 20180108_100049.jpg 20180108_100057.jpg

There is little you can do or change during the winter. Great that you are planning on building a new coop when the weather warms up. There is a ton of information on the site to help you build the best coop you can build for your area. The first coop I had was very unsatisfactory. However, I learned from my mistakes. The coop I have now is in its 3rd winter and so far it's a great design.

Are you finding the combs are healing with the green goo?
Yes I have been gently applying a thin layer of green goo every evening andthey actually are healing quite well. We have fortunately had a few days of warmer temps but dropping back to single digits this weekend again. I will take some updated pictures this evening and post them tomorrow as for the healing progress. Thanks

My apologies! Your run looks so nice I assumed it was the coop! lol.

Do you keep the door from run to coop open all the time? My set up is similar to yours (plastic covered run on 4 sides) but un-insulated coop. I leave the door open for airflow. Had to add more ventilation to the plastic covered run than I expected as I had some mild frostbite earlier this winter, but nothing since, even with the deep freeze the last couple of weeks. Its certainly a learning curve isnt it? lol Hope you can get it figured out for your girls.
Thanks so much. I have actually tried to make the run as nice as possible as my coop is currently way to small to support my 6 girls. The only time they are really in the actual coop is to lay and sleep. The white slide up door between the run and the coop is kept open during the summer but I have been closing this winter to prevent any drafts directly across the sleeping girls. My coop is also un-insulated. I have ordered a Temperature Humidity Meter from Amazon for inside the coop hoping to be able to at least occasionally check on the conditions of the coop, especially in the mornings. Does anyone know what an acceptable humidity level is inside a coop? As far as ventilation through the run the west wall (between the run and coop) is only about 1/2 covered and the top is open. I have fully covered the sides of the most prevalent winds.The tent cover I have over the run extends beyond the run by 6" on all sides and allows for great airflow over and through the run, it actually worked better than expected, as the wind its the plastic it pushes upward under the tent and through the run. This has been great as it allow for nice air flow without have 20-30 mph sustained winds blowing directly on my girls.

I don't want to argue. I apologize if I offended you.
I've been keeping them for 5 years now.
I didn't think you were arguing with me as there was no argument. I have read a lot here on byc and even if I don't post on a particular thread, I have spent time reading and learning.
Just an observation, but your posts can come across rather blunt which can tune people out. In order to share your knowledge and experience with others who will gladly listen with open ears, you might want to sweeten your responses. That doesn't mean to be less than true, but maybe offer up your wise words with a bit more empathy. I am sure with 5 years of experience - you have been there done that and can offer some helpful advice to us newbies.
I am also sure that I am quite older than you and I always have to remind myself that this is the internet. We cannot read one another's bodily clues which is helpful in conversations. We can only guess at how the person is interacting with us - unless we throw in some emojis.
I have always been an observer, so usually I am not quick to respond without taking the time to actually find out what the person's intentions are. When, I responded yesterday, it had already been a long day for me, so I apologize for my curt response.

I am unable to see from the pictures. Under your popup tent, is there plastic covering the top of your run? I'm wondering if you have things too closed up. Chicken coops/runs need plenty of ventilation.

Let me clarify a few things as some of the responses seem off from the information I provided. There are no vents covered with plastic. I have all 4 sides of the run covered with plastic because I am in Kansas and often have sustained winds of 20mph from all directions. The top of the run in open and not covered, at least 6 square feet of the runs east wall is not covered with plastic due to the coop. From being in the run there is still allot of high level air flow. My coop is not insulated nor heated. There is no heat in the coop, the only heat I provided was the small panel heater in the run which was only on in single digits and below but as I mentioned it did not appear the girls ever got near it. I would love to provide more ventilation in the coop but because of the poor and small construction the previous owner did I am limited to what I have already done. The coop is too small for 6 hens but any further vents would cause drafts across the roosts. I am building a brand new coop which will be 10x4 and ready in the spring but for now I have to make the best of what I inherited. I opted not to use Vaseline as a preventative instead used Sierra Sage Green Goo Animal First Aid Salve as I stated since it is also fortified.

I have been wondering if adding a barrier, such as the green goo (have read great things about it), would actually prevent frostbite. Or if those of us that have frostbite would have gotten it anyway (due to the circumstances) and those that don't have frostbite, would not regardless of the barrier used or not used on the combs. It seems like you have done the best that you can in regards to the chickens and that you are rectifying their habitat in the spring.
I was told not to touch the comb after frostbite has occurred as it can be painful. I was applying bag balm to my chicken's comb. Are you finding the combs are healing with the green goo?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom