Frostbite Prevention and Treatment HELP

I really have no advice. But, how is your ventilation?
Honestly I know the coop could use more ventilation. As I have mentioned before this is something I inherited from moving neighbors who constructed it way too small, the coop really needs to be twice the size it is to support my small flock. I have cut about as many vents and holes I can without getting too low and risk causing possible drafts across the roost bars. There may be nothing I can do until I can finish building and get my new coop installed in the spring. Right now I am trying to make the best out of a bad situation and trying find out if there is any preventative measures I can take to minimize further or new harm to the girls. There is nothing I can do structurally right now it is as good as it is going to get.

My apologies! Your run looks so nice I assumed it was the coop! lol.

Do you keep the door from run to coop open all the time? My set up is similar to yours (plastic covered run on 4 sides) but un-insulated coop. I leave the door open for airflow. Had to add more ventilation to the plastic covered run than I expected as I had some mild frostbite earlier this winter, but nothing since, even with the deep freeze the last couple of weeks. Its certainly a learning curve isnt it? lol Hope you can get it figured out for your girls.
Thanks so much. I have actually tried to make the run as nice as possible as my coop is currently way to small to support my 6 girls. The only time they are really in the actual coop is to lay and sleep. The white slide up door between the run and the coop is kept open during the summer but I have been closing this winter to prevent any drafts directly across the sleeping girls. My coop is also un-insulated. I have ordered a Temperature Humidity Meter from Amazon for inside the coop hoping to be able to at least occasionally check on the conditions of the coop, especially in the mornings. Does anyone know what an acceptable humidity level is inside a coop? As far as ventilation through the run the west wall (between the run and coop) is only about 1/2 covered and the top is open. I have fully covered the sides of the most prevalent winds.The tent cover I have over the run extends beyond the run by 6" on all sides and allows for great airflow over and through the run, it actually worked better than expected, as the wind its the plastic it pushes upward under the tent and through the run. This has been great as it allow for nice air flow without have 20-30 mph sustained winds blowing directly on my girls.

Thanks so much. I have actually tried to make the run as nice as possible as my coop is currently way to small to support my 6 girls. The only time they are really in the actual coop is to lay and sleep. The white slide up door between the run and the coop is kept open during the summer but I have been closing this winter to prevent any drafts directly across the sleeping girls. My coop is also un-insulated. I have ordered a Temperature Humidity Meter from Amazon for inside the coop hoping to be able to at least occasionally check on the conditions of the coop, especially in the mornings. Does anyone know what an acceptable humidity level is inside a coop? As far as ventilation through the run the west wall (between the run and coop) is only about 1/2 covered and the top is open. I have fully covered the sides of the most prevalent winds.The tent cover I have over the run extends beyond the run by 6" on all sides and allows for great airflow over and through the run, it actually worked better than expected, as the wind its the plastic it pushes upward under the tent and through the run. This has been great as it allow for nice air flow without have 20-30 mph sustained winds blowing directly on my girls.
As far as the humidity, I read on another thread that there is no real measurement to aim for except that it is the same inside the coop as it is outside and there is no real way to do that except through proper ventilation. See the circle happening here? :)

I don't want to argue. I apologize if I offended you.
I've been keeping them for 5 years now.
I didn't think you were arguing with me as there was no argument. I have read a lot here on byc and even if I don't post on a particular thread, I have spent time reading and learning.
Just an observation, but your posts can come across rather blunt which can tune people out. In order to share your knowledge and experience with others who will gladly listen with open ears, you might want to sweeten your responses. That doesn't mean to be less than true, but maybe offer up your wise words with a bit more empathy. I am sure with 5 years of experience - you have been there done that and can offer some helpful advice to us newbies.
I am also sure that I am quite older than you and I always have to remind myself that this is the internet. We cannot read one another's bodily clues which is helpful in conversations. We can only guess at how the person is interacting with us - unless we throw in some emojis.
I have always been an observer, so usually I am not quick to respond without taking the time to actually find out what the person's intentions are. When, I responded yesterday, it had already been a long day for me, so I apologize for my curt response.

Back
Top Bottom