Frostbite Recovery

MamaDoolittle

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 23, 2015
West Michigan
While I had to be away for an unexpected death in the family, the temps at home dropped to air temps of -15f at night. My fill in chicken caregivers did their best, but 2 of my girls suffered minor frostbite on their combs. I discovered it upon my return and have brought them inside and been treating it. They are acting much happier and are eating and drinking well. My question is at what temps can they go back outside, at least during the day? Their run is protected from wind, so that is not an issue.

I'm having the same exact issue, but with the rooster in my profile. We've had like you guys a solid month of temperatures in the -20 range so his wattles and comb are complete trash now. When he drinks he puts his whole head in the water for some reason so its been hell. I'd wait for a warmer week and slowly expose them to the elements once again, I wouldn't really say there is a definitive timeline. The issue we all have is having birds inside for recovery and having to move them back out into the harsh winter weather safely. Ideally I'd keep mine in side until summer, but that really isn't an option. Perhaps try and just expose them a few hours a day, gradually increasing that time until you feel they are comfortable enough to go home. Than as usual, acclimate them to their flock slowly as the hierarchy has changed.

Back
Top Bottom