Frostbite Risk Can Be Impacted by Genetics

Status
Not open for further replies.
They froze solid. I think he is a lost cause. I’m taking particular care to document so Trueman has a handle on what frost bite really is so he will step up game to prevent more effectively.
Yeah. Keep an eye on them, based on my experience, it lingers in the foot for a few weeks before rapidly killing off the leg(s). The legs still stay attached for a good while though as they finish dying off, and most birds don't seem to even realize as they walk

Yeah. Keep an eye on them, based on my experience, it lingers in the foot for a few weeks before rapidly killing off the leg(s). The legs still stay attached for a good while though as they finish dying off, and most birds don't seem to even realize as they walk
Normally, a bird such the stag would be dispatched already. My son wants the rooster's genes so the boy will be doing AI to get his hatching eggs this go. He already has experience squeezing fish to please them!

They froze solid. I think he is a lost cause. I’m taking particular care to document so Trueman has a handle on what frost bite really is so he will step up game to prevent more effectively.
Do you think he'd be interested in reading these threads, they may give him some ideas of different treatment options/methods.
The threads are like document/journey threads with how folks treated their birds along with photos and outcomes.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/matilda-is-going-to-lose-her-feet.1454933/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/frostbite.1558605/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/frostbitten-feet-the-adventures-of-scout.67277/

In your photo the blisters I see appear to be filled with clear fluid. Is that correct? If the fluid is clear, your son's rooster may not be a lost cause yet, since clear fluid-filled blisters signify less severe frostbite damage than red (blood-filled) blisters. Here is how blood-filled blisters appear. This foot eventually turned necrotic and was lost.
20210221_090728.jpg

Blisters serve as a protective "liquid bandaid" and should not be popped. For this reason I would also not medicate them with hydrogen peroxide or any other drying agent. Unfortunately, further exposure to below-freezing temperatures will make the frostbite injury worse. This equates to sunburn, where further exposure makes sunburn damage worse. Depending on how valuable this rooster is to your son's breeding program, the best outcome would be to house him in a warm place until the frostbite injury resolves one way (heals) or the other (foot turns necrotic.) Either way his injuries are currently very painful, which is why he isn't walking or eating very much. I understand your intentions with this thread may be solely to document and not to treat, but wanted to offer the above info in case you would like to try and save him.

Ok good to know you would like to save him, have him in warm housing, and great that his feet may still have circulation. Housing him in above-freezing temperatures for the next several weeks is the very best step you can take to prevent further frostbite injury while his body works to heal itself. Other things you can do to give him the best possible outcome include 1) Keep his feet as clean and dry as possible to help prevent infection. No need to wash his feet unless he is getting poop on them, although warm Epsom salt soaks will soothe pain and will help deter any chance of infection. 2) A baby aspirin given once daily or 1/2 baby aspirin given twice daily will help with pain, which will improve his appetite. His appetite may remain poor for the next 2 weeks or so until pain diminishes. 3) Topical triple antibiotic ointment, vetericyn spray or other topical antibiotic/antimicrobial will help deter infection, especially if you see any open wounds. (For example if a blister accidently breaks)

If you were able to tell what color his blisters are, that would be a huge clue as far as his prognosis. But I understand that his willow shank color makes it very difficult to tell. If there is only clear fluid in the blisters, his frostbite damage is 2nd degree, meaning that the damage only penetrates skin-deep and he should heal with no lasting damage. If blisters are red, that means at minimum 3rd degree frostbite, which penetrates into tissues and causes permanent damage. One way or another, in 2-3 weeks you should have a much better idea. I hope he keeps his feet and is able to contribute to your son's breeding goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom