Frostbite? Spreading fast...

Dec 1, 2020
Western Washington
Hi there! Checking in on my chickens a few nights ago I noticed one of my hens seemed to have frostbite. I've never seen frostbite before but was pretty sure this is what it was. I thought it seemed a bit strange since my wyandotte and her little comb got it and not my Maran rooster with his big ol comb. Its been plenty cold enough recently for it (mid 20s at night, mid day is usually high 30s then cooling back down). I have read to get her inside somewhere out of the cold. I am going to setup a little broodie enclosure thing I have in the barn with a few lights. The barn doesn't get nearly as cold and I think I will put a heat lamp or something outside the cage (not on her I've been told not to do that) to add a bit more ambient heat. However just going in to check on her tonight I noticed there is now black/blue/purple discoloration over her eye and some weird discolorations on her beak, as well as her left wattle becoming much darker. Is this frostbite just spreading or swelling was froze earlier. I am going to get her moved right away but I am wondering if maybe my frostbite assumption was wrong and this is something else. I'll add pictures below from tonight. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG-0700.jpg
    IMG-0700.jpg
    488.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG-0704.jpg
    IMG-0704.jpg
    371.9 KB · Views: 7
Looks like she may have been in a fight and has debris stuck on her face.
Her beak has an injury.

Flush and clean the eye with saline, wipe of the comb. See what it all looks like once you have her cleaned up.

Looks like she may have been in a fight and has debris stuck on her face.
Her beak has an injury.

Flush and clean the eye with saline, wipe of the comb. See what it all looks like once you have her cleaned up.
Thank you ill try that. I should have added that yesterday it was just the swollen black part on her comb and only today has her eye gotten like that as well as her beak. The night before it was mostly white and swollen just a bit on the comb.

^this is why I thought it was frostbite not an injury but I just didn't know

Sorry I'm not sure, it doesn't look like the super typical frostbite I usually see....poor baby looks pretty dang swollen... keep us updated on how shes doin! I'll keep her in my prayers. Whats her name?

Thank you ill try that. I should have added that yesterday it was just the swollen black part on her comb and only today has her eye gotten like that as well as her beak. The night before it was mostly white and swollen just a bit on the comb.

^this is why I thought it was frostbite not an injury but I just didn't know
👇👇👇👇👇Try this. Once you're done, post some more photos.

Sorry I'm not sure, it doesn't look like the super typical frostbite I usually see....poor baby looks pretty dang swollen... keep us updated on how shes doin! I'll keep her in my prayers. Whats her name?
Thank you! When I got her I could never settle on a name and now its been so long nothing fits so she somehow ended up getting called ''goldie'' by my family just cause shes a golden laced 😂

It may well have been a touch of frostbite but as @Wyorp Rock said:
Her beak has an injury.
Goldie.jpg

The circled part above looks like it's been scraped or banged into something sharp. I would look around your coop/run real good to be sure there aren't any obvious places where she (or any others) could get injured again. Sometimes an encounter with hardware cloth can do this, too.

As long as it's healing ok though there's really not much else to do.

Back
Top Bottom