He won't eat poultry feed?

Pretty boy. Hopefully the antibiotics will help with the wheezing. Hard to know if he has damage due to cold weather or if it's coincidence.
Frostbite is going to take time to heal.
This is the first success I've had rehabing an ill chicken in my house. He stopped hand-feeding three days into adding the antibiotic to the pedialyte so I stopped it. He resumed hand feeding but also was enthusiastically eating grain and drinking on his own ... So I think the hand-feeding may have been more social than hunger. By Thursday (day 11 in-home) he seemed perfectly happy though still wheezing but much less severe. So I decided the wheezing was due to house dust and decided he was removed dangerously long from the flock and needed plain old fresh air. The flock is mixed ages (7 years down to 5 months having an unexpected Roo in the 5 month-old crew). So Friday, in the misty rain (not ideal) out we went to the coop. There was a quasi-attack from the teenager but DannyBoy put a quick firm non-injuring end to that. Last night all was well in the Coop - everyone comfortably perched making comforting Good Night sounds.
Deeply Thankful to Wyorp Rock & Bigtom Turkey for your wise counsel and the many members sending emojis.

This is the first success I've had rehabing an ill chicken in my house. He stopped hand-feeding three days into adding the antibiotic to the pedialyte so I stopped it. He resumed hand feeding but also was enthusiastically eating grain and drinking on his own ... So I think the hand-feeding may have been more social than hunger. By Thursday (day 11 in-home) he seemed perfectly happy though still wheezing but much less severe. So I decided the wheezing was due to house dust and decided he was removed dangerously long from the flock and needed plain old fresh air. The flock is mixed ages (7 years down to 5 months having an unexpected Roo in the 5 month-old crew). So Friday, in the misty rain (not ideal) out we went to the coop. There was a quasi-attack from the teenager but DannyBoy put a quick firm non-injuring end to that. Last night all was well in the Coop - everyone comfortably perched making comforting Good Night sounds.
Deeply Thankful to Wyorp Rock & Bigtom Turkey for your wise counsel and the many members sending emojis.
I love when these stories have a happy ending.

In all the years we’ve had chickens (at least a decade) we’ve never had to deal with frostbite. Our 9 year old favorite rooster has frostbite on his wattle and comb. The comb is minor damage. The wattles were extremely swollen and once we warmed them up why’ve been hot to the touch. He’s been on LA200 Liquamycin for two days and the swelling has gone down significantly. But they are still so heavy that it keeps him arched over when trying to stand. He is 9 years old, and molting (under wing) and I assume poorer circulation than our younger roosters bc of his age.
We’ve been hand feeding him and giving him water, he wants to eat, it’s just hard with the weight and them being in the way, and he has been inside since the night he got this. He has had a healthy appetite while letting us hand feed.
Do we consider dubbing? If it’s hurting his ability to stand, how long do we wait to see if it resolves on its own before I have a vet cauterize dub them? Can a rooster that old survive dubbing? He’s our sons first chicken and they’ve grown up together. He’s been the BEST rooster you could ask for.
Pictured are his wattles after severe swelling had gone down with antibiotics and one of him standing with that incredible weight of the wattles, with the love of his life, an 8 year old Americauna hen, now blind due to cataracts. They’re the cutest old chicken couple ever. She brings him so much comfort we brought her in too and he calmed right down.
He’s a massive Dominique Rooster, 1” spurs, 2’ tall.
View attachment 3360932View attachment 3360944
No dear dubbing is only safe when a rooster is approx 1.5 year to 3 year old I did my tootoo’s dubbing when he was 1 and half year old and his comb was affecting his life

Back
Top Bottom