Frostbite

SterlingSilver

Songster
6 Years
Jul 11, 2017
Eden, Western New York
So I think that my rooster has frostbite on his comb. He wont sit still for a picture, he keeps pecking my phone. The color is a light pink sort of color and the other chickens combs are a similar color. On the top of his crown there is a black dot I know that is frost bite but i have no idea what to do about it. I live in Western New York and for the next week it looks to be in the negatives. I have enough ventilation. Is there any way to prevent this? I've heard of putting stuff on their combs but does that work?

The black flesh is dead, please don't cut it off. It will fall off in its due time. If the frostbite affects the whole comb he'll need attention, but if only the tips or little bumps he will be just fine. Putting vaseline on combs can help prevent frostbite, to an extent.

The black flesh is dead, please don't cut it off. It will fall off in its due time. If the frostbite affects the whole comb he'll need attention, but if only the tips or little bumps he will be just fine. Putting vaseline on combs can help prevent frostbite, to an extent.
Okay thank you, its only on the tips and down a little. But other than that they all seem pretty happy considering they are locked up.

i think my hen has frostbite. shes a barred rock. she has a big wattle. on the top it's white. do i need to do something? i saw an article somewhere that said i could use lavender oil.

what can I expect of a damaged RIR rooster and leghorn hen comb frostbite? Will it basically drop off in warmer weather and forever be altered or will any part of it repair and grow back? They both now have vaseline on comb and wattle.

Those tips are gone forever! I have a leghorn and a black sex link that lost a couple of tips last winter. It's been a colder winter so far this year & so far so good with my girls combs! This year we added more ventilation & it has really helped so far.

Ok, I will wait and see how far the damage goes. I know not to "trim" any areas, but will I see the result of the frostbite yet this winter or will it take awhile for the comb to drop the damaged tips?

Back
Top Bottom