Barredrocker99

Songster
Sep 17, 2020
I’m going to attach pictures tomorrow and post something a little more descriptive, but wondered if anyone could help me at the moment.
I’ve got a Barred Rock that seems to possibly be getting sick. Not 100% sure about that, but the last few days she’s been a bit lethargic. she’s been the very last chicken out of the coop to free range, and one of the days she wouldn’t come out until I picked her up and put her outside. Normally when the chickens are away from each other, they’ll sprint over to rest of the flock. She just kinda took her time and kept to herself. I’ve also been noticing very small black specks on just a couple of the hen’s combs, including the BR. Today, while locking the coop up, I noticed her comb was bleeding. It wouldn’t stop, so I put some MannaPro hen healer ointment on it and it seemed to stop. A LITTLE BACKGROUND: None of the other hens have any of the same symptoms other than the small black spots, which is only on one or two others. They have quite a large yard to roam in during the day, and a pretty big coop to sleep/lay eggs in. Theres ten hens , all pullets, and this particular BR is not laying yet(as far as I know!). She does not seem to be picked on, unless they’re doing it when I can’t see them. I haven’t ever seen frostbite in a chicken, or any other illness for that matter, so any advice would be extremely appreciated!

Pictures would help. I'm wondering if perhaps she has fowl pox.
I wondered that too, but saw that they usually start as white or yellow lesions? They weren’t either color at any point.. does that matter? It’s not affecting eating, drinking, or pooping, if that’s relevant. I probably should’ve added that in the initial post.

I wondered that too, but saw that they usually start as white or yellow lesions? They weren’t either color at any point.. does that matter? It’s not affecting eating, drinking, or pooping, if that’s relevant. I probably should’ve added that in the initial post.
I’ll definitely update with pictures tomorrow. You wouldn’t be able to see if I took one tonight, as the ointment I put on her is blue. And covers the majority of the comb.

I’m going to attach pictures tomorrow and post something a little more descriptive, but wondered if anyone could help me at the moment.
I’ve got a Barred Rock that seems to possibly be getting sick. Not 100% sure about that, but the last few days she’s been a bit lethargic. she’s been the very last chicken out of the coop to free range, and one of the days she wouldn’t come out until I picked her up and put her outside. Normally when the chickens are away from each other, they’ll sprint over to rest of the flock. She just kinda took her time and kept to herself. I’ve also been noticing very small black specks on just a couple of the hen’s combs, including the BR. Today, while locking the coop up, I noticed her comb was bleeding. It wouldn’t stop, so I put some MannaPro hen healer ointment on it and it seemed to stop. A LITTLE BACKGROUND: None of the other hens have any of the same symptoms other than the small black spots, which is only on one or two others. They have quite a large yard to roam in during the day, and a pretty big coop to sleep/lay eggs in. Theres ten hens , all pullets, and this particular BR is not laying yet(as far as I know!). She does not seem to be picked on, unless they’re doing it when I can’t see them. I haven’t ever seen frostbite in a chicken, or any other illness for that matter, so any advice would be extremely appreciated!
One thing I forgot to mention was her comb started drooping the same time she started getting a little lethargic, which could just naturally be the way her comb is, just figured I’d add it. HOWEVER, she actually seemed to be doing a bit better this morning. The black spots seem to be gone, she wasn’t bleeding, and she ran out of the coop with the rest of the girls. Maybe I just got too worried too quickly.

Attachments

• 0D407EC2-AA31-4371-8C37-D1E71D2C17D7.jpeg
    0D407EC2-AA31-4371-8C37-D1E71D2C17D7.jpeg
    447.5 KB · Views: 12
  • A9957BA9-48DD-4705-B189-F5EAC89507F7.jpeg
    A9957BA9-48DD-4705-B189-F5EAC89507F7.jpeg
    439.6 KB · Views: 12
The spots could be from being pecked. My hens that are low in the pecking order sometimes have them but if she’s not active something else is going on. I’d watch everyone’s poo!! I had a bacterial infection this year and only one chicken acted ill but soon a few got diarrhea but acted fine. I’d add electrolytes and vinegar to their drinking water and watch everyone.

Back
Top Bottom