Frostbite??

It would be fine to put Vaseline on it. Won't hurt the others if they peck at and get a little..it would keep them from wanting to peck again.
I have vasleine, blue note and this antibiotic spray that's also for frostbite that I just found. This morning he had blood all over his feathers because the hens keep packing at his bladder spot in his neck (plucked feather) caused blood so i sprayed the stuff on him in that spot but his comb is also bleeding. I think the hens are started to peck his comb. If I put stuff on his comb will it freeze?

I wouldn't heat the coop. That'll just cause more potential problems. He will lose the most sensitive part of his headgear, but then he wont have to deal with it in the future!
Okay I'll stay away from heating the coop. But he will get better right? This is very minor?

Okay I'll stay away from heating the coop. But he will get better right? This is very minor?
Judging from the pics and my own experience, this seems like a minor case and not a cause for concern. Those of us in colder areas will experience some frost bite and partial comb loss in our big combed birds. Don't touch it or bother too much with it (some say vaseline, but I have no experience with that).
Heating the coop gets the birds addicted to the heat. They can become accustomed to it and over the year they may not feather appropriately for winter. Then if the heater breaks in the middle of the night, they can die of chill. This is also possible in the coldest nights of the year going from heat to no heat rapidly. Heaters can also cause fires. The best thing to do is to buy cold weather chickens and keep a draft free coop.
The pieces of his comb that are black will likely fall off. That is ok. Next winter, he is less likely to have frost bite because those vulnerable pieces are gone. He'll be ok!

Judging from the pics and my own experience, this seems like a minor case and not a cause for concern. Those of us in colder areas will experience some frost bite and partial comb loss in our big combed birds. Don't touch it or bother too much with it (some say vaseline, but I have no experience with that).
Heating the coop gets the birds addicted to the heat. They can become accustomed to it and over the year they may not feather appropriately for winter. Then if the heater breaks in the middle of the night, they can die of chill. This is also possible in the coldest nights of the year going from heat to no heat rapidly. Heaters can also cause fires. The best thing to do is to buy cold weather chickens and keep a draft free coop.
The pieces of his comb that are black will likely fall off. That is ok. Next winter, he is less likely to have frost bite because those vulnerable pieces are gone. He'll be ok!
Thank you. Do combs grow back or is he going to look werid 😭?

Thank you. Do combs grow back or is he going to look werid 😭?
It won't grow back. But like said, you'll still love him. :). I still say Vaseline will keep the others from pecking, and keep it from freezing more, which it could. I used to do it often. I live in cold weather during winter.

It won't grow back. But like said, you'll still love him. :). I still say Vaseline will keep the others from pecking, and keep it from freezing more, which it could. I used to do it often. I live in cold weather during winter.
His comb is bleeding. Is that a good sign? His blister has seem to gone down.

Attachments

• 20220130_085235.jpg
    20220130_085235.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220130_085238.jpg
    20220130_085238.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220130_085239.jpg
    20220130_085239.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom