Frostbite...

sparkles2307

Terd of Hurtles
11 Years
Oct 23, 2008
Northwestern Minnesota
My roos have frostbite on their combs and wattles... I have a heat lamp hanging right above the roost but the stinkers prefer to roost in the rafters, which I cannot hang a heat lamp from, nor can I block the rafters off because then there wouldnt be any ventilation for them. ANYWAYS, I dont see how they got it because its warm enough in the coop that no one is fluffing up to stay warm, there are 2 lamps, and everyone seems really happy and healthy, even laying eggs on -10 degree days, but these roos have frostbite! Is it really bad for them or can I just let it run its course? I realize the tips of the comb and wattles will fall off, but is it going to make the roos sick or anything? I tried catching Elvis to put vaseline on it, and he ran away, hes like a turkey and really hard to get a hold of because he is so hefty. Ceasar just wont come out of the rafters for me to get him...

You do need to keep watch for an infection, but the frostbitten bits will fall off eventually - in months down the road probably.

You can try the vasaline thing to prevent further frostbite, but check your humidity first, is there moisture on the walls/windows etc. in the mornings?

not moisture, straight up ice. The windows are iced over. But, I dont know how to get the humidity down further... if we give them any more ventilation they will loose heat. They have 2 12"x6" vents in the ceiling, and a lovely draft from a loose board in one wall...

Back
Top Bottom