Frosty is Sick

I thought that Safeguard was not water soluble?
It will settle, but people still swear by it. I'm not willing to take the chance that they don't get enough wormer, so I catch all of mine, even the really wild ones and I do them orally. It's a lot of work, but at least I know they're getting the right amount of wormer.

-Kathy

I don't think the safeguard settling is as bad depending on what kind of water dish you are using. I started using 2 shallow pans for the liquid safeguard. That way if it settles it isn't settling down that deep. I definitely love using it in the water. I don't like catching up the birds and freaking them out and getting their feathers all ruffled. They drink the water for 3 days and each day I change it out with fresh safeguard water. It definitely works. One year I only wormed my birds once which was I think at the end of the breeding season. I certainly saw the safeguard in action because they had dead worms in their poop. That was a good example of why you should worm more than once a year.

When I worm I get the safeguard out and measure out the dose, put it in a jug full of water, shake it up until it is all cloudy water, then go out and pour it into an empty container for the birds to drink.

One of these days I'll figure out the actual dose that birds get from 3ml per gallon. Just a guess, but I think it will be 5-7mg/kg. Which might work for some worms, but I bet it won't work on all of them. :D

-Kathy

Frosty looks like he is doing okay today. He was eating a lot, preening, foraging, running for treats, etc. I will keep an eye on him but he seems to be doing well.

Hopefully he just landed wrong or flew into something, i have witnessed mine fly into things or hit something coming down from a tree and the next day they looked like they were getting sick.
fl.gif
hugs.gif

I almost wonder if he is being picked on by Alto when I am not around. Alto pulled on his neck feathers pretty hard today to get him to move out of the way and everyone steps on his train at least 5 times while I feed. Maybe he is just worn out from all the stepping on and pulling.

Could be Minix when my males chase one another it can go on for a few hours to a few days usually early morning or late evening from what i have seen so far, once the chase stops everyone gets along so you could just be missing it.

I am finding that one of my males likes the chase, he had 3 after him and i kept heading them off and finely gotr them to leave him alone and what does he do go after them, so i ain't helping any more silly peacock.

Back
Top Bottom