Frozen eggbound bottom ! Not for weak stomaches.

Oh Thank You! I do think it is a prolapse that I didn't see until it got really bad. Wyandottes are sooo feathery and downy back there...like poofy pom poms for the cold weather! We have had some very cold nights here in KY recently. I think what may have actually happened is that she did have a prolapse....and it either got frozen to the egg or frostbitten due to being continuously moist....and frozen poop and broken egg hanging from her feathers. The end of the protrusion has a hard white and black (looks frostbitten). She does pulse as if trying to lay an egg...so I guess I must go get the prep H, clean things up, and go to town.
hide.gif
It is really big, but aside from the cold damage, looks just like the links you sent over. I guess now I can get her out of my bathroom and not feel at all bad about putting her in a pet carrier! I surely can't put her back out tonight...she would freezer right back up as long as she is dripping from back there. I have been keeping it clean...as clean as one possibly can, anyway.

Thanks so much...we had talked about putting her down tonight...and were pretty upset about it.

Is this at all common? We had chickens my whole life growing up and I don't remember this ever happening. Of course, I don't remember much
idunno.gif
these days.

I hear he peeping now...so off I go. Will let you know how it went. Thanks again soooo very much.

Anne in Louisville

A pet carrier is fine (large enough to place food and water and some room to move around). Keep her inside the house where it is warm. Prolapse is generally more common in younger and/or `production' chooks. I sure wish you and your hen the best but the prognosis is usually poor even if caught early on. Provide just enough light so she can see to eat and drink (pick up a bottle of Polyvisol Enfamil Vitamins without iron - give her three drops a day for a week).

Best of luck!

I too had an Orp with a prolapsed vent about a month ago. She always seemed to be the one with the soft shelled egg. I tried to fix it but it just popped back out again. Sadly we had to put her down. I did some research and discovered that hatchery birds are more pron to a prolapsed vent than birds raised by a breeder. Hatcheries are breeding for egg production and not soundness.

This fall I purchased some Wyndottes from the Foleys (local to Louisville) and plan on getting some more this spring. They are huge and beautiful birds.

I hope your hen fairs better than ours.

It is a blue Foleys Wyandotte. Sometimes bad things happen to good birds
hit.gif
I asked my husband not to go out in the ice storm to get prep h last night...it actually turned out to not be too bad here. There is some ice, but not as bad as everyone feared.

I got my latex gloves and coconut oil (known for antifungal and healing properties, and very soothing) and lubed her up and pushed it in last night. This morning popped right back out and repeated twice. Not my favorite thing, might I add...nor hers, I am sure. The swelling seems better, but I suspect we will have to put her down due to the fact that the prolapse is also frostbitten...and has a hard crust on it. It probably feels foreign in there and she wants it out. If it keeps popping out later today, we will have to put her down. booo. She is in a covered box in a quiet room listening to holiday music...the relaxing kind. If anyone can heal the soul, Nat King Cole can.

Anne in Louisville (Oldham)

I am sorry to hear this, it has to be hard for ya'll, I've not had that yet and hopefully won't but if you have hens you never know. You are doing all you can for her.
hugs.gif

Any way to post a photo...incase someone has more to suggest...I would hate for you to put her down if someone had something that could help. I feel so bad for you, wish I had more to offer
hugs.gif

Anne I am so sorry, I know how special my Wyndottes are to me. I have a BLR, a black, a blue hens and a beautiful black roo and also a 2 blue roos hatched in August from them.

Back
Top Bottom