Frozen Eggs: are they safe to eat?

The obviously cracked ones get nuked for warm protien for my barn cat. The rest go on the counter in cardboard cartons. since like Mike said who knows if they are frozen. If any become leakers they are relegated to the cat, but the rest go into cartons for me and my customers.
This is the best advice I've seen. I too struggle with what to do when they freeze before I can collect them. Now I know :) Thank you!

So I hate to ask - but how do you tell if the eggs are frozen? Other than the obvious of cracking it open and the insides are frozen? Is there anything about the outside that gives it away? If collect an egg that was "frozen in the nest" - then bring it inside and unknowingly it unfreezes and you eat it - can you get sick from it?

I usually pick up my eggs not too long after they are laid. But sometimes it has been a couple of hours. I never considered whether or not it was frozen. It was very very cold here (Upstate NY) and now it's warm (go figure).

I am sorry to hear that so many of you have broken cook stoves, and ranges. I thought that cooking was invented by the cavemen to sterilize unsterile food items.
Go ahead and eat poop, then. Just cook it well first. What, you don't want to?

Sorry. I couldn't resist. :lol:

So I hate to ask - but how do you tell if the eggs are frozen? Other than the obvious of cracking it open and the insides are frozen? Is there anything about the outside that gives it away? If collect an egg that was "frozen in the nest" - then bring it inside and unknowingly it unfreezes and you eat it - can you get sick from it?

I usually pick up my eggs not too long after they are laid. But sometimes it has been a couple of hours. I never considered whether or not it was frozen. It was very very cold here (Upstate NY) and now it's warm (go figure).
No real way to tell from the outside, sometimes if you shake them they'll feel hard inside. Doesn't matter.

Go ahead and eat poop, then. Just cook it well first. What, you don't want to?
Sorry. I couldn't resist. :lol:
:gig

No real way to tell from the outside, sometimes if you shake them they'll feel hard inside. Doesn't matter.
Or do that spinning thing that is shown in a video earlier in this thread.

There's a real chance I eat sterilized poop on a regular basis. :p You probably do too. You should look at the regulations on how much mouse feces is allowed in your cereal grains.... Not to even mention how common eating pork intestines are...
There are some fancy kinds of coffee beans that are fed to monkeys, come out in their poop whole (but fermented) and then roasted and sold.
Let's be real here. The only reason poop isn't considered a viable food source is because it tastes nasty. Otherwise we'd have probably found a way to utilize it and cook with it.
As it is, a lot of animals are corophages. :p We just aren't that desperate.

There's a real chance I eat sterilized poop on a regular basis. :p You probably do too. You should look at the regulations on how much mouse feces is allowed in your cereal grains.... Not to even mention how common eating pork intestines are...
There are some fancy kinds of coffee beans that are fed to monkeys, come out in their poop whole (but fermented) and then roasted and sold.
Let's be real here. The only reason poop isn't considered a viable food source is because it tastes nasty. Otherwise we'd have probably found a way to utilize it and cook with it.
As it is, a lot of animals are corophages. :p We just aren't that desperate.
Wasn't there some kind of expensive coffee made from cat poop?

Back
Top Bottom