1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

frozen feet?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jackrooster, Jan 16, 2011.

1. jackrooster

jackrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Maine
    i was watering my chickens today and notice my silkie hen was walking funny? SO i picked her up and looked at her feet her toes on the end of her feet were folded up under her feet!! and her feet was cold and was as hard as a rock and she can bend any of her toes.....what should i do??

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    bring her inside if you can DO NOT immerse her feet in water. Let them warm up on their own. once they are warn have a look again. if the tissue is white its frost bite.. if they turn black they cant be saved... her lil feet may be sore for a bit and some aspirin in her water will offer her some pain relief

I cant remember the dosage off the top of my head hopefully someone will be able to help... (I usually dissolve 1 baby aspirin in 250ml of water for a standard chicken)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  3. jackrooster

Jan 17, 2010
    Maine
    Quote:So don't use water at all to put her feet in just let them unthaw???

4. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    no i would not the water may defrost them to fast and be really painfull and cause a lot of stress to the bird

when you defrost someones hands who is suffering frost bite, if you defrost them to fast its really painful.

if you do use water make sure its not to warm i personally would use your own body temp to avoid burns... just allow the chicken to perch on your hand or hold the chicken on your lap in a towel while the feet are warmed

5. jackrooster

Jan 17, 2010
    Maine
    could a hair dryer work??? not to close??

6. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    I would not... hair dryers can burn really fast and its to hard to regulate the temp

7. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
  8. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:thanks your the best! I knew someone would come along lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by