Frozen Sweet Peas

Quackattack717

Songster
Sep 4, 2019
Gettysburg, PA
Alright, I’m confused. I’ve been feeding my flocks frozen sweet peas since they were old enough to snack on them. My husband and I got fresh sweet peas at a farmers market and they were going bad so I googled if the flock could have them and all this stuff came up about sweet peas being TOXIC and killing chickens came up! WHAT?! I know it said the plant is toxic but I’m confused as if the frozen sweet peas I’ve been feeding them as treats regularly is also toxic! Please someone let me know!
Thanks so much!

Are you by chance confusing the sweet pea flowering vine with sweet peas that you eat?
Yes. Probably. This is what came up on google so me being the paranoid and worrisome person I am, I needed to be told by someone that the peas I am feeding them are safe!

Attachments

• 399DBAEF-D466-410E-8180-6E7F5AE26656.png
    399DBAEF-D466-410E-8180-6E7F5AE26656.png
    297.8 KB · Views: 7
Yes. Probably. This is what came up on google so me being the paranoid and worrisome person I am, I needed to be told by someone that the peas I am feeding them are safe!
And these are the peas I’ve been giving them to snack on and they LOVE them!

Attachments

• 7F525ECD-638B-42E3-A1DB-6998EC1CF16F.png
    7F525ECD-638B-42E3-A1DB-6998EC1CF16F.png
    744.8 KB · Views: 7
I know it said the plant is toxic but I’m confused as if the frozen sweet peas I’ve been feeding them as treats regularly is also toxic!
This can be a very confusing topic.. the term "toxic" is often misunderstood and can mean something as simple as a mild headache or stomach ache. Much different than poisonous!

However.. nothing should be fed in excess and all treats should be kept to less than 10% of the total daily intake in order to keep nutrition balanced.

Even the PLANT part of peas is fine and many folk sprout them and feed as fodder.

Many things including peas, oats, and others have phytic acid or other anti- nutrients.. essentially nutrient blockers that inhibit absorption of certain things...
https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/anti-nutrients/

https://blog.daveasprey.com/4-top-antinutrients-to-avoid-and-why/

To increase the pea cooling pleasure during summer.. spread them inside more frozen ice cubes or a bowl of ice so they have to work to get to the peas (corn, meal worms, blueberries, other items) and enjoy the ice as well. Cooling enrichment boredom buster! :D

Hope this helps put things in perspective. :pop

This can be a very confusing topic.. the term "toxic" is often misunderstood and can mean something as simple as a mild headache or stomach ache. Much different than poisonous!

However.. nothing should be fed in excess and all treats should be kept to less than 10% of the total daily intake in order to keep nutrition balanced.

Even the PLANT part of peas is fine and many folk sprout them and feed as fodder.

Many things including peas, oats, and others have phytic acid or other anti- nutrients.. essentially nutrient blockers that inhibit absorption of certain things...
https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/anti-nutrients/

https://blog.daveasprey.com/4-top-antinutrients-to-avoid-and-why/

To increase the pea cooling pleasure during summer.. spread them inside more frozen ice cubes or a bowl of ice so they have to work to get to the peas (corn, meal worms, blueberries, other items) and enjoy the ice as well. Cooling enrichment boredom buster! :D

Hope this helps put things in perspective. :pop
We only give them as a treat, they mainly free range and eat their crumble along with scratch. I just needed to make sure I wasn’t giving something to my animals that was harming them!

That’s a great idea for hot days! We were out with them yesterday and they were all panting and had their wings out, it was the hottest day of the summer yet. So it made me very worried about the rest of summer! I’ll definitely be freezing some treats in ice cubes for them!
Thanks!

The answer is right there on the photo you posted. You have your terms confused. SWEET peas are decorative flowering plants. What you call "sweet" peas are English peas and are quite edible. Snap peas and snow peas are also edible.

Back
Top Bottom