Frozen waterer, no electricity in my coop...

Saw this at a farm once: they had made a miniature hothouse out of old windows and had the waterers for the small animals in there.On sunny days it keep the water from freezing so quickly and provided a little shelter for the animals.

Quote:
Instead of the heating pad use fish aquarium heaters. I use these in my bucket waterers and they work great, also very safe and cheap to run. Get the submersible ones and use the lowest setting.

If you can't get power out there a solar air bubbler might work. They make them for fishing to keep fish buckets aerated. I use one of these to make compost tea in the summer but it mignt work to provide movement to keep water from icing over. There are also battery powered aquarium air pumps. The Penn-Plax "Silent Air" Model B11 uses two D batteries and will run for 5 days of continuous use. Of course, this can't be used in a regular waterer because of the air pressure but should work in an open pan or bucket.

Another thing that works if you have power is a small incondesent light in a cement block. You can also use an on/off timer to switch it on and off in intervals to save power. Perhaps this could also work with solar powered shed lights as well?

I'm supprised that there aren't more alternative energy equipment out there considering that most coops do not have power to them.

Last edited:
My water pipes come out of the ground in various locations through out the yard over about a quarter acre. They are pvc so they are affixed to four by fours for stability. They are wrapped with galvanized conduit... the kind that splits in the middle for repairing ducts. The ducts are nailde around the pipe and to either side of the four by bour. The water pipe comes up and through, the inside is filled with sand..... its enough to insulate the pipes from cold... I have friend in the midwest that so this with horse maneur.

But the same thing can be done for buckets. I have a friend that uses an insulated cooler for her horse water (for nighttime when he is in the stall). How about an old igloo cooler with a chicken access hole cut in the side filling the gaps between walls with wood or something similar.

deb

I wonder, could you skip the water and just give them snow? (I mean, if you have it.)

I don't know if it would work well. But my chickens love to eat snow when given the opportunity. Mother nature has her ways.

I agree with swapping out waterers in the morning. At night they really don't care.
When it's really cold is the only time that they get food or water in the coop.

we just swap out the waterers when one freezes we bring it inside and take out the one thats freshly filled. its a bit more work but no more than what i would do in the summer when its really hot and i am bringing them out cold water every couple hours

Back
Top Bottom