Frozen waterer, no electricity in my coop...

You can not see it but along that fence and up over the gate is an extension cord to the coop. I once used it for heat lights but found it just was a waste of energy. I do have lights there now but white 60watters for extended daylight.

No electricity in or near our coops. I keep water fresh and filled during the day. At night, I empty the containers and stack them outside the front door to fill bright and early in the morning. Otherwise, the ice is so thick I can't even break it, I have to wait for it to thaw. I do this with our rabbits and goats as well.

they are fine at night without water....I have a heated dog water bowl in my coop...but its gotten to -29* here already and at times we don't get out to the coop till after 8am...
just make sure you get water to them first light...they will be fine.

FYI.... There are 12 volt units available, used to use similar in IL and MI winters to keep stock water open....

Here is one source and there are more http://www.hydrogenappliances.com/stocktankheater.html

Edit cause I can't spell...
hmm.png

Last edited:
I just use those rubber bowls from tsc and break out the ice before filling. I do this before leaving for work and as soon as I get home. this will give them unfrozen water most of the day, and they will learn to fill up before the water freezes again and will be just fine. The rubber bowls work great just slam it on the ground and the ice pops out ready to be refilled. I've never bothered with hot water and the chickens don't seem to mind.

I take out hot water in the am and afternoon,so they have plenty to drink before it freezes.

Quote:
If you are only going to plug the water heater (<120w), 600' is still doable with 12 gauge wire extention. Or 90w with #14.

Going over the driveway would need some creative solution.

I have 3 waters for the chickens and 3 water bottles for the rabbits. I just change them during the day according to the temperature outside. At night the chickens don't come down to drink once they are on their roost so I bring their waterer in, and with the rabbits, they get a fresh water bottle at night before I go to bed so they are fine till the morning when I go out there to the coop and the hutch.

Thanks to all. I think bringing the waterer in at night is going to be the answer for me. I was worried about doing that because everyone I know says that you can't leave chickens without water, but if they're not drinking at night anyway, it shouldn't be an issue. Plus, the other option is them waking up to frozen water that they can't drink, so what's the difference?

I never heard about warm water freezing faster than cold...very interesting...I will keep that in mind.

Something about 600' of extension cords AND crossing the driveway is just too scary. If people can live without electricity, I am hoping that my chickens can as well.

I still think that some clever person should invent a solar water warmer, or a thermal blanket for those metal waterers. I think a lot of chicken lovers in the cold part of the country woud find them useful—with or without electricity.

Thanks to all.

Back
Top Bottom