Frugal coop bedding: yard moss!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chotii, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Chotii

Chotii Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't put chemicals on my lawn, and I don't get much sun either. As a result, I have a full and healthy crop of MOSS here in the Pacific Northwest. I finally got fed up with it and started raking...and raking...and making a gigantic pile.

A light went on in my head.

So I put some into the coop to see how it worked as an absorbent bedding. I had been using shavings and straw, but I was running out of shavings and not relishing needing to go buy more....

You know, it's not bad. It's not bad at all. I like it better than straw (if not as much as shavings) but unlike either of those, it's free for the raking. I've let it dry in the sun like hay, and bagged it up. I bet my neighbors would let me rake their yards too, if I run out. [​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sounds like a plan. The birds here love to eat the bugs that hang out in the moss that gets washed off the roof tops. No lawn here to rake though.

3. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I like it! It's renewable, absorbent, and free. I've been using grass clippings instead of hay in my nest boxes (same thing, really). I love it when natural resources can be used.

4. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Any pics (or links to online pics) of what this stuff looks like or what it is called?

5. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Quote:Thanks, Nifty! I wanted to ask for a picture, too,but felt silly.But I really wanna see what it looks like in your coop! Please?

6. Earl Grey Sian

Earl Grey Sian Out Of The Brooder

Alternaive free bedding option......shredded paper. Works a treat. Absorbant and compostable! Friends often give be bags full of shreddings and I'm currently shredding all my university notes having just got my BSc(Hons) [​IMG]

7. mobius

mobius Chillin' With My Peeps

I am so doing this. I have lovely green moss all over my yard...I think it will be very healthy for chickies and great bedding/litter...mine comes up in sheets and I put it in indoor plant pots as mulch. My yard is no-spray natural wooded hill.

8. mobius

mobius Chillin' With My Peeps

Response to the request for pics (I know this is an old thread): Here is what the moss looks like...everything is natural, haven't had a lawn for 15 years...1st pic of a little moss in the brooder, second is where it is growing outside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by