fruit cake

arabianequine

Crowing
9 Years
Apr 4, 2010
A bit early I usually make for the holidays. I do it at the beginning of Oct. I have not made it for 4-5 years because some family that I gave too was wasting it giving it to there dogs yes with brandy on it but they are drunks and were drunk I am sure but said they liked it so I gave it to them every year till I heard that. Oh year I think this same year I made a lot of fruit cake different kinds I have a white cake fruit cake and I make some with brandy and some with apple juice. Anyways I made a lot this year for a sale and did not sell squat and I was really disappointed....I don't think the word got out enough that I had it and I know not many people like it but I know enough do and miss it.

It does take a lot of time to make and is kinda a spendy thing to make the fruit and brandy.

I think I am gonna try again this year and the family that was wasting it is not getting any....I think maybe just one batch I will make and see how it goes.

Good to know that I am not the only one that makes fruit cake. I usually buy the makings after the holidays when the stores are trying to get it out of the store. I have a very simple recipe that my mother gave me to make it. So far this year I have 4 drunk fruit cakes and 2 sober ones that are hiding out in the freezer. I don't know what I am going to do with them yet. I need more people to feed. All my children have moved away, which is a good thing as they are both employed and self sufficient, but this leaves me without people to feed. uf da!

Last edited:
Quote:
Ill PM you my address if you really just need to get rid of them
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

DH and I love fruitcake but so many people make jokes about it or put it down. Our food culture has changed dramatically over the years. We are raising winter squash this year, which is probably unknown to the present generation. I am more selective now about giving gifts of seeds, plants, and needlework. I've shared heritage seeds with more than one neighbor only to learn that they were never planted.

Quote:
Ill PM you my address if you really just need to get rid of them
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

I will but it depends how many I end up stuck with.....cause I don't like it and no one in my house does.
hmm.png

I love the stuff, and pick the small loaves up on sale around the holidays to marinade over the months with brandy or apple juice for future eats.

BTW - you can slice it into biscotti-size wedges and bake till hard - store in container for a fruitcake snack with coffee or tea.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom