Fruit

TillinWithMyPeeps

Waiting for Spring...
11 Years
Aug 22, 2008
Ohio
I have a couple of different fruit bushes and trees in my yard, and I was wondering if it would be alright to give the fruit to my birds.
I have:
Nanking Cherry
Raspberry
Black Raspberry
Sweet Cherry Tree
Apple
Peach
Grape

Also near the future coop sight are a couple of forsythia bushes, and a honeysuckle bush. Are either of these poisonous?

Please tell me if you have had any experience with any of these, or if you have other recommendations for plants

Quote:
Andy123,
I have raspberry, swt cherry, apple, peach, and forsythia in my yard without problems. I also give my hens grapes. My honeysuckle is in a different yard and I'm not sure what Nanking cherry is. My chickens will sample just about anything they can reach, rhubarb, yew needles and berries, willow, lilies, bamboo, clematis, iris, dahlia, aronia, cranberry, high bush cranberry,gooseberry, thimble berry, bluberries, lingonberries, witchhazel, eonomus, lavendar, viburnum, skimmia, escallonia, pyrocantha, lily of the valley bush, rose and another couple dozen plants that I can't remember their names. They've never eaten lots except the rhubarb once. I don't think any of it has caused problems. I worry more about the multitudes of little brown mushrooms that sprout up.
Imp/Russ
droolin.gif

It sounds like your Chickens have quite an appetite!
D.gif

Nanking Cherry, from what I have heard is like a cherry bush that grows fruit. I'm not quite sure exactly yet, because, I just put my in.

Any other advice is greatly appreciated.

Here's the attitude I've developed about what my chickens can and cannot eat.
They are free-ranging on 80 acres. There must be hundreds, if not thousands, of different species of plants, mushrooms, trees, etc. that they encounter every day. Some of it I'm sure is poisonous, others not.
It would be impossible for me to follow them around on their excursions and inspect everything they come in contact to make sure it's okay for them to eat.
They must know what's okay to eat and what's not. Eight months and so far nobody's died or even gotten sick.

Last edited:
Hey,

Amazing portable garbage disposal units. The intermediate step between garbage pail and composter. With bonus of turning that garbage into eggs and delectable meat. No wonder mankind has been keeping chickens for ..........ever lol

Moldy, putrid, they have very developed taste and there are some things like citrus and raw potato parings (cooked is good) mine don't care for, or onions either. But mangos, pineapples what ever is in the mark down bins in the stupor-stores. Tho I did draw the line at no stuff I had in the garden as they are suspicious of new food till a few taste first and didn't want a new problem of keeping them out of the garden..

Have no fear putting anything in front of them. They know what is good. Never hear of chickens poisoned from what they eat. Well I mean a 'general' poisoning. Once I had a hen die and suspect it was something she ate. But suspected too much styrofoam or more like that.

IMHO lol

cheers

Quote:
So True,
If mine don't eat all their food I throw it on the compost pile. THEN the chickens go for the next day. I guess they like it aged. They have never damaged any of my plants, just pick at them. Citrus and onions are a no no? I guess I've been poisoning them for years.
th.gif
Imp

Back
Top Bottom