Frustrated, a bit confused, and just bouncing my thoughts around

I believe the "small things" you do for people mean a lot to each of those individuals. I know the smallest kindnesses that have been shown to me or my family through the years are what often have made my day or month. And I still remember them, too. I also believe that all those supposed "small things" you do really add up~~~more than you may every know in this earthly life. Thankfully, you don't have to be a millionaire to show love to others! I think your intentions are awesome and may God bless you in your search for what you will do in the future.
smile.png

It's the little things that count and let them build up. Sounds like you are doing that already. I can't tell you how much a smile and someone sincerely asking how I'm doing has made my day brighter when I'm having a bad day.
You could help in a children's shelter. Or even volunteer at a local library or help out at an elementary school. Sharing your "light" can make a difference in people lives.
Try out different outlets and see what interests you most, then get more deeply involved.
Sounds like you are already headed in the right direction, keep up the good work!
As for a church or religion, I'm not sure what to tell you. It is hard to separate actions of some people from the actual doctrine being taught at church. Pray to know God's path for you. If you haven't found what you are looking for, don't give up. Keep looking until you find it. God will answer sincere prayers, but one must take action(sounds like you are). And sometimes it's the the action you take that ends up being your answer. Good luck!

Not sure exactly what you mean by not wanting a different spiritual path, just a different outlet? Unless you are asking about other Christian denominations? There is a huge amount of difference in them as far as practices and emphasis. And some of that changes from one congregation to another.

I've been gping to my church for 16 or 17 years, and there has never been a fire and brimstone sermon, but there have been many, many on love.

If you are looking for a new denomination, then try visiting services at a number of different ones to see which congregation "fits" you best. Many churches have a website, and it is common for them to have some sort of statement of faith or summation of their beliefs listed. Look for those that most closely match your beliefs, that speak to what your heart is calling for. Look for churches that have large outreach programs that provide services to others. Even if you do not choose to change your church, you might get ideas of changes you can make within it.

One person CAN change the world, but it does not happen all at once. Once upon a time Mother Teresa was a young nun with no particular impact beyond her own, small interactions. Any yet by the time she died, she had made a HUGE impact in bettering the lives of millions. Once upon a time Bill Gates was a typical kid. He started building computers out of his garage. Look at how he has revolutionized technology and changed the world; and now he is pouring many millions of dollars into humanitarian and charitable causes. Billy Graham was a poor young kid, but he grew to create a ministry that is known world-wide, and most of his sermons dealt with love. So do not discount what you can do personally, or the amount that you can influence those around you.

I do not know how much of the Bible you read, but I would suggest that you read the New Testament from start to finish, and when scripture from the Old Testament is given, follow that path and read there as well. You might want to read the Gospels side by side as they each tell the story a bit differently, from different perspectives. John is significantly different than Matthe, Mark and Luke. You should also read the Old Testament through, but it has a great deal more violence, and in some books, finding love is HARD. In others it is SO apparent.

A lot of people dislike the term religious; I am not one, to me it is very much being spiritual. I believe that if you live a spirit-filled life, you are religious. The intent of religion is to worship God. We all worship in our own ways, but doing what is pleasing to him is the first thing he calls for. He leads people in many different directions; we have different talents and gifts. It sounds like he is calling you to a purpose. You personally cannot do EVERYTHING, but you can do everything that he is asking. Maybe you are called to lead and organize people to fill the needs of many. Or maybe you are called to personally fill needs.

Different churches do different things. I don't go to church, however, I have a friend, actually a few friends, who go to a church that is VERY, VERY active in the community. It sounds too "busy" for me, but it would be something up your alley I'd thing. They do a LOT of volunteer work, it's very open and loving. Not up my alley, but maybe up yours. Perhaps start checking out other churches? If you want, PM me and I'll send you the link to this church, and maybe you could contact them and see if they know of a church in your area that runs the same way - big time on the volunteer and community helping.

Heather
you will not find what your looking for in material things like money.
Everything you need you already have.the gift of love is a feeling that comes
from inside yourself.give it away its free and far more powerful than material things.
you are not here to solve peoples material or money problems only the truth love kindness,and forgiveness
can help someone.They are all one in the same.Churches are fine but your answer will not be found there.
a church can only be a guide to how you already feel inside.It is an easy thing to give out love when it is accepted.the secret is how to give it when the person receiving it is in a state of anger or pain.you have to stop yourself from responding to things the way you have been taught to.Then learn to respond to everything the way you feel in your heart.dont judge things anymore and dont expect things to happen in any certain way that you think they should.In other words dont get upset with yourself or frustrated over how the church is working.Keep it more simple just give out your true love to others and let the big guy take care of the details.People need More love and it is more powerful than anger or negativity give it freely no strings attached.and finally Look!!! for the one good thing that is present in any situation dwell on it let it defeat all the bad things and your life will get Better.My Love is going out to you Please pass it on.and God Bless You

You just refer to being angry at 'the church' I am taking it to mean your demonomation, which you never state. As others have said find a new church or at least visit them, sit in on Sunday or whatever day they have services and see what you thing, ask questions, for you ask what volunteer services do they offer to the community and ask how you can help. Maybe see about 4 h, my daughter just this week decorated the local fire department for their party/gift giving that they do for families that need some help, then wrapped presents all day yesterday for operation santa.

My husband and I were in the same predicament. We had been going to a church that he had been a member of since he was a kid. When I first started going there, they were great, then I got pregnant with my son and all the sudden, we weren't good enough to help out with things anymore. We were basically shunned by them. The thing that really upset us was, we were still together (and still are now, almost 12 years later) and it wasn't OK for us to be having a baby, but it was OK for one of the deacons daughter to be pregnant and not even know who the father was!

We continued to go to that church for a while, but was turned off even more when they fired the Youth Pastor because more people were going to him, than the actual preacher. WTH??? Why is that a reason to fire someone? He was the one who came to see me in the hospital when I almost died, he was the one who came to see our daughter when she was readmitted at 3 days old, he was the one who came to see our son when he was admitted for surgery at 2.5 months, not the actual preacher!

Things have continued to go down hill in our opinion at this church and we have stopped going. All they want from you now is money to pay for the new building, and for the preachers vacations, and other things along those lines. If you don't donate a certain amount of money to them, they look down on you. That is NOT how is church is supposed to be!

I miss my Methodist upbringing and have thought about going back there, but like someone sig here on BYS says, "going to church doesn't make me anymore a Christian than standing a garage makes me a car!"

I can still talk to God without going to church and having people tell me how I should do it.

Good luck in finding what you need, but it really sounds like you are on your way there.

Churches are comprised of people. People are not perfect. Just because somebody goes to church does not mean they are a nice person. I've met some really good people and some not really good people at different churches comprising different denominations. I find my relationship with God an intensely personal thing. Other people will have a different personal relationship.

Different denominations are set up differently with different organizations and different philosophies. Different churches within those denominations have different personalities and emphasize different things. A friend was recently conmplaining to the minister that he would prefer the local church emphasize good deeds and community action more than they do, like a church of the same denomination in a different city and state. The one here is still pretty active in the community. After all, the minister is a formal social worker.

Perhaps you can find a church that fits what you are looking for, either in what they are now doing or maybe that you can organize a certain type of outreach. But perhaps you need to separate church and what you want to do. It certainly helps to have an organisation behind you, but perhaps what you are looking for is not going to come through a church.

It sounds like you want to help everybody. Even Mother Teresa could not do that. But you can do a lot. It sounds like you are involved in Scouts. I'm not familiar with Girl Scouts, but if it is Boy Scouts, you can organize activities that help them get their hours of community service or maybe even influence an Eagle project. You never know whose life you may touch. It sounds like your special interest in is seniors. Maybe immerse yourself in one activity instead of trying to spread yourself for everyone. Maybe Meals on Wheels, or go into specific nursing homes and, on a regular basis, lead a bible study, give manicures, or maybe lead a bingo game. Instead of looking at what you can't do or instead of expecting other people to share your specific passion, look at what you personally can do. You will probably never be completely satisfied with that because you will always feel like you should do more, but you can still do a tremendous amount of good.

The difference is between religion and spirituality. I too am Christian, but have felt a disconnect from the church since I was a child. I left the church at 14 and had a troubled relationship with God until 50. When I needed him he was there. (He was always there, my eyes were closed.) Living my faith, surrounding myself with like minded people, life spent with a closer connect to nature than to man--this is what works for me. I feel that this journey is a personal one and that perhaps we all need to find our own way. I wish you health, happiness, and love in your journey. Sourland George.

Back
Top Bottom