Frustrated with all the options

I think this is a personal decision. We have a few singletons, a few dips, and a few trios. They intermingle and get along. My neighbors have 4, each of a different breed. I personally wouldn’t get 5 of 1 and 1 singleton, but if you’d like a variety and get gentle breeds they will be fine especially if raised together as chicks. ❤️
Agree, totally.

I’m currently shopping for my first flock of chicks and it’s just overwhelming. I don’t really want to buy potentially below average stock from one of the big hatcheries that offer vent sexing. I’d love to support a local breeder, but they are hard to find and usually sell straight run.

I can only have 6 hens, so straight run isn’t ideal. I’ve found some nice mid-size hatcheries, but again, most everything is straight run.

I’ve considered just ordering auto-sex or sex-link, but then I’m limited to certain breeds that may not be on my wishlist.

Another option is just to buy started pullets, but then you don’t get to raise them. So thanks for letting me vent. I’m sure I’ll end up with some wonderful hens..eventually.
Good morning, I'm not sure I am understanding right but just my 2 cent worth is ISA Browns. They are excellent layers and also a friendly breed. I hope that helps.

One more thing to think about, would you rather get heritage breeds that lay an egg or two less each week for a longer amount of years, or high layers/hybrids that lay an egg a day each for 2-3 years and stop? Or a few of each?

What did you start with and what do you wish you had?

I know nothing about breed names unfortunately. Where I live they are finos, chilenos, karaokes I started with a gifted rooster "gallo fino" where i live, but he is a smaller skinnier breed. I wish I started with a larger breed, for more meat and higher resale value. Ive had people visit my house trying to buy chickens and they dont want the small "finos".

But I have managed to hatch a few larger roosters and hens, and I am now crossing those trying to raise the size of the flock.

I really like the turkens "naked necks". They are a good size and disease resistent.

I’m currently shopping for my first flock of chicks and it’s just overwhelming. I don’t really want to buy potentially below average stock from one of the big hatcheries that offer vent sexing. I’d love to support a local breeder, but they are hard to find and usually sell straight run.

I can only have 6 hens, so straight run isn’t ideal. I’ve found some nice mid-size hatcheries, but again, most everything is straight run.

I’ve considered just ordering auto-sex or sex-link, but then I’m limited to certain breeds that may not be on my wishlist.

Another option is just to buy started pullets, but then you don’t get to raise them. So thanks for letting me vent. I’m sure I’ll end up with some wonderful hens..eventually.
I’m in Brisbane Australia. Have been focusing on incubating and raising chicks. Will be selling some on a regular basis now I’m getting the hang of it.

I’m still surprised at how few people incubate and raise chicks.

Welcome to the world of keeping chickens. Even if you end up with all hens of a breed you are happy with it will be only a couple of years before you find your self faced with this decision again.

Chickens are really only good layers for three years or so. Depending on the hen/breed. After three seasons, egg laying is good in the spring and spotty at best the rest of the year. If you want to keep getting eggs consistently you have to decide what to do with the older gals, and again be faced with which variety and age to get for your new ones.

I think this is a personal decision. We have a few singletons, a few duos, and a few trios. They intermingle and get along. My neighbors have 4, each of a different breed. I personally wouldn’t get 5 of 1 and 1 singleton, but if you’d like a variety and get gentle breeds they will be fine especially if raised together as chicks. ❤️
I agree, too. I have a flock of 12 chickens. I have 2 Silkies and 2 Orpingtons. Everyone else is a different breed (well, I do have a hybrid, who does not qualify as a "breed," per se). And my Silkies and Orpingtons are different colors black and splash, and buff and lavender, respectively). My 5 ducks are 5 different breeds (Welsh, Swedish, Saxony, Runner, Pekin). Everybody is happy. Everyone gets along, except my top hen and my rooster, but that's a different story for a different thread.

Their different colors don't seem to affect their relationships, either. My Rock (barred) and my Brahma (buff) are best friends, as are my Naked Neck (black) and my Spitzhauben (silver spangled). My ducks (black, white, apricot, fawn & white) are inseparable.

They are also from 5 different batches, so integrating all this yard candy wasn't affected, either, from what I can tell.

OP: Get what you want. You won't be sorry with any of the breeds you are contemplating! I'm very excited for you!

I’m in Brisbane Australia. Have been focusing on incubating and raising chicks. Will be selling some on a regular basis now I’m getting the hang of it.

I’m still surprised at how few people incubate and raise chicks.
I'd love to hatch my own, but I can't have any more roosters. We don't eat chickens, so we'd have to rehome or sell, and roos are so plentiful here because of ordinances that people can't give away their extras.

I think that's true for a lot of BYCers. We just can't take the chance of getting males.

I live in Minnesota, so I need cold hardy. Planning on a woods style coop 6x10 with a 60 sq ft outdoor run. I’d love friendly, quiet(ish), hardy birds. I think Orpington’s look nice, I love the coloring choices of Wyandotte’s. Green/blue egg layers would be fun too. I would like decent layers. Pet quality is fine, since I don’t think we would show. Thanks!
Good to know. Ty.
Often you can pay a nominal fee to have them sexed at the hatchery.

I absolutely agree in supporting small places. However, small doesn’t always mean the animals are kept in better conditions. And larger hatcheries doesn’t mean that they are below average either.

Just to share my experience - 6 chicks from different hatcheries all were accurately sexed, very healthy, very friendly, awesome experience. 2 roosters from small local farms, both extremely ill with different diseases from the day I got them and required so much work on my part to save (only 1 survived). Not to mention the money or time, but it was a massive emotional strain. If I could go back in time I would have tried to get a roo from a hatchery instead.

I know that’s a super limited experience and it can go either way, im sure others have had reverse experiences. My point is that it isn’t so black and white that small=good or hatchery= bad. I really wanted to support a small local place but it was a terrible decision - the only positive was I saved a chicken who otherwise would have died. If you do go to a small place, be extra vigilant and beforehand lookup positive signs vs red flags to look for of animal husbandry. This place appeared beautiful and well cared for on the surface but was awful behind the scenes.

Back
Top Bottom