Frustrated!!!!!!!!!!

Getting them through the first two weeks is the hard part. They get tougher after that. Your brooder is the same size as mine was. It was sufficient till my six reached about 4 weeks them they had to go out to the coop. The brooder was getting too small and they were getting way too noisy and messy. The temperature at night was dropping onto the mid 50's but they kept each other warm.

Oh gosh I hope this brooder lasts longer than one more week! :/. That was a rather large job for me lol. From what I have read, loosing some while they are young is something that happens. I am still not certain if all my efforts are going to pay off. I do see fewer respiratory symptoms but I have a lethargic bunch of chicks today.

The brooder temp is about 88 right under the light and the "cold end is about 80 degrees. They are all sprawled out in that 83-85 degree area ALL the time. I don't think they are cold. I don't think they are hot. They just look exhausted. I am hoping they are finally comfortable and can truly rest. Kind of hard to do that when you're sneezing and gasping for breath every few seconds :eek:

Good job! I'm sure you have a bunch of happy chicks right about now!
jumpy.gif

Your box is about the size of mine, and I have a chick-a-saurus that loves to get up on the edge and sit and watch the ones down below! She's getting to the point of hopping from one side to the other
hmm.png
Yes, I'm supposed to keep the hardware wire on the top - but I can't see them as clearly!

I just wanted to say that maybe the breeder didn't know there was anything wrong with the chicks. With some illnesses chicks/chickens can be fine one day and then become ill when stressed. Many people think chickens can get colds and haven't been told otherwise. As for your vet, they can only really guess what is wrong with the chicks unless they run some blood tests.

Okay, I read the first page and the last page, skipped the between so forgive me if I missed something important, but your chicks are pushing three weeks old? And the coolest they can get is 80degrees? That is way too hot. They need to be able to get completely out from under the heat to an area of coolish room temp. My three week old broody raised chicks spend over half their time out from under momma and it's running in the 50s here this week. Turn the lamp off for a while if they can't get out from under it. Most homes are around 70degrees and that's fine most of the day for chicks this age.

Exactly what I was thinking.Temps are a little warm in there. They only need about 80 degrees in the warm area at that age, the cold area can be much cooler as long as there isn't a cold draft blowing through. At about 4 weeks mine were never near the heatlamp.

I just wanted to say that maybe the breeder didn't know there was anything wrong with the chicks. With some illnesses chicks/chickens can be fine one day and then become ill when stressed. Many people think chickens can get colds and haven't been told otherwise. As for your vet, they can only really guess what is wrong with the chicks unless they run some blood tests.

I am aware that birds rarely show signs that they are ill until they are REALLY ill. The breeder knew these birds were not healthy when I called him and told him yet he continued to sell out of that brooder. I don't think there was any malicious intent. I just think that he is inexperienced but passes himself off as a chicken expert. That creates a problem when people like me who want to do the right thing follow his bad advice.

on January 31st I sold a pregnant mare. I kept up with her until she foaled on March 31st. She retained the placenta for 6 hours after delivery. I called and PAID for the vet because I am educated about my product and know that retained fragments can create fertility problems down the road. I paid for the vet because my customer had the right to expect a healthy broodmare for their money. I don't pretend to know about horses and when I sell one especially to a novice they can be assured that they will know everything they NEED to know, most of what the want to know and a whole bunch they could probably care less about but will one day be glad they were told about it. I also sell nothing without a health guarantee. I hold everyone to that standard.

The breeder did not even tell me he was sorry that my chicks were ill and that is wrong on so many levels. I have been up every night since I brought them home medicating, and hydrating and dropper feeding and agonizing over the death of one. I also realize that I can not have a definitive diagnosis without labs but as the treatment for respiratory illness is largely the same, it did not warrant the additional stress on the chicks. The important thing is that they are doing better after treatment.
Okay, I read the first page and the last page, skipped the between so forgive me if I missed something important, but your chicks are pushing three weeks old? And the coolest they can get is 80degrees? That is way too hot. They need to be able to get completely out from under the heat to an area of coolish room temp. My three week old broody raised chicks spend over half their time out from under momma and it's running in the 50s here this week. Turn the lamp off for a while if they can't get out from under it. Most homes are around 70degrees and that's fine most of the day for chicks this age.
I wish this were a more exact science to the brooder. I understood that if they hovered around the fringe of the light they were comfortable. I will lower the temp and see how they do. :)

Last edited:
The guy knew the chicks were not healthy, but he sold them anyway? That's very irresponsible of him. And it could cause huge problems for people who have, say 100 chickens and don't know how to treat them etc.
Your chicks are lucky that they ended up by you. You know what to do, are willing to make an effort and you're doing your best. But there are lots of newbies out there who doesn't know how to deal with a sick chicken and will probably lose their chicks. Not a nice way to start chicken keeping.

Sumi, as I said, I don't think the man's intentions are malicious. I just feel that he is very new to the whole chicken thing himself and probably not as knowledgable as he pretends to be. I honestly would not be nearly as upset if he had just said something along the lines "I'm sorry you're having problems. I'm still learning myself but I'll watch these other little guys really closely and appreciate you informing me".

My parrots are not nearly as hardy as chickens and I have only had 2 die in ten years. One was an aged lovebird who literally was scared to death by a wolf spider and the other the vet killed by botching tbe blood draw (that was confirmed by necropsy). It IS possible I have the only sick chicks out of his entire flock. My Silkie chick has never shown the first sign of illness. She has been a fireball from day one. She is not as easily stressed as the others. But they doing better everyday and in the end that is the important thing. :D

I do sincerely thank everyone for all of the encouragement and advice. We would not be this far into things without y'all.

I'm glad they're doing better. You're a good chicken mommy.
thumbsup.gif

But I still think you should report this. Not to get the guy in trouble or "punish" him. Just to get him straight. I reported a former friend (that's not the reason we're not friends anymore!) who were treating his chickens badly, letting them get sick and not helping and... it was not a good situation things got real bad. I felt I had a responsibility towards his chickens and the farmers in this area. My vet friend went round to see what's going on. They allowed him to keep his chickens and run his business. But they told him what to do and how to do it properly. They're keeping him on his toes and making sure the situation doesn't reach a point where it harms neighbouring farmers.

Back
Top Bottom