FS in MI- Ko Shamo

Polish

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 18, 2008
SE Mi
Hello,
I will have a few pairs of Ko Shamo available this fall. I have two lines available as pictured below. These pictures are of my breeders who are under a year old and still developing. They are fantastic pets- highly intelligent and hardy.
15944_100_0996.jpg

15944_summer09_113.jpg

15944_summer09_127.jpg

15944_summer09_121.jpg

Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder with these guys. They are my favorite birds.

They are very meaty and have been good layers for me, but are very small birds, roughly the size of bantam Cornish.
They are fantastic pets.

These birds were originally used for cockfighting, and I think they still are in some parts of Japan, where they come from. That's why they're so meaty -- muscular for fighting. The hens are good brooders and moms.

Ko Shamo is a Japanese breed, originally brought to Japan from Thailand (when it was Siam). "Ko" means "little" or "small" in Japanese because these are bantams -- they're a true bantam with no standard/large counterpart. "Shamo" is the Japanese pronunciation for "Siam."

So, Ko Shamo is the "Little Siam" chicken.
smile.png

Quote:
The large fowl.. O-Shamo.. Was originally used for cockfighting. Ko shamo, and O-shamo are relatives.. But considered different breeds, and as far as i know. The KO's were never used in cockfights.

While my Kos show a lot of oriental character (intelligent birds, quiet, strong hens), they are fairly mild-mannered towards each other- especially when compared to my Shamo. They are very friendly birds, actually seeming to enjoy company and handling. They have completely won over our family- including my silkie-loving daughters. I have been surprised by how thrifty and productive they have been as layers.

Hey DTChickens,
Dunno how true this is, but it's what I was told by Japanese friends -- that the Ko Shamo is used for "unarmed" cockfighting in Japan, and that it's legal. They don't use spurs or any kind of artificial spur attachment, just bare-legged sparring. Since Japan is such a crowded place, the bantam birds are easier to raise and keep than full sized O-Shamo.

Like Polish said, what we see in the U.S. of Ko Shamo are mild-mannered. It's probably that American hobbiests select for mild-manneredness when breeding them, which would contribute to Polish's birds being gentle. But, here's a general description of Ko Shamos that mentions their original combative behavioral trait:
http://www.geocities.com/asiangame/koshamo.htm

They're great birds, anyway!
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom