The Dorking are slow growing, but the Red Ranger's are fast grower's. That is why he crossed them. They should help to add a big long breast crossed into a Naked Neck (plus add some longer leg's).

Yup, I'm really curious to see how those compare to the rest for growth rate.

My one Dorking is a sweetie. Their body shape is different from most others, short legged and long bodied. When I read about them before ordering one it said they were known for tender and delicate meat.

That's what I've read as well. Temperament is important too, I like a peaceful flock. What other breeds do you have?

That's what I've read as well. Temperament is important too, I like a peaceful flock. What other breeds do you have?
:lau Well, I’m a bit of a self-described chicken wh*re. To begin with I only wanted regular brown eggs, as I had only ever had white store bought eggs. My first purchase was was Buff Orpingtons, Amberlink, and Red Star. I was a happy chicken keeper until I really began to read up on the different breeds and that’s when I went a little rogue and ordered one each of the following breeds: Australorp, BCM, RIR, Blue Ameraucana (Black), SGDorking, GLW, CW, Buckeye, Barnevelder, Partridge Cochin, CCL, EE, NHR, WPR, BPR, SS, Dom. Male & female of each Welsummer and SLW and three NN (from TSC straight run bin. 2M/1F). I really wanted some OE so I hatched out some of my fertile eggs (Welsummer over EE, CW, BPR, and WPR) and out of 12 chicks there were only 4 pullets, 2 were OE. :yesss: Anyway, I kept 5 of those hatched (January 2019) and order 12 more little pullets in March. Two of each BCM, BO, Partridge OE, Partridge Penes, Blue Ameraucana (Blk and Splash) and finally one Super Blue Egger and CCL. Whew, that is an exhausting list, but I LOVE them all. Some, of course, more than others. Other than my OG’s (Original Gangsta hens), I believe the one I’m most proud of is the little cockerel I have raised. He’s #13 and so far is perfect. He was the first one of my incubated eggs to hatch. He is a Welsummer/BPR cross and is beautiful. The barring is there with a little of the Welsummer reds coming through and he looked like his steely gray barring was rusting a little, thus I named him Rusty.
B50B7BB3-30DB-4526-8B5B-286752615BCB.jpeg

He is now the only male running around with 37 females (all breeding age) and is having the time of his life. I’m sure he’ll be all grouchy a little later when most of the girls start molting and tell him NO. He does have the 12 little ones that are absolutely in love with him and he has done a wonderful job pulling them into the main flock. Here he is with a few of the new ones.
58115D28-EB50-4B41-8F8B-DCAAD6399AA0.jpeg

And with the flock as a whole.
7D7653A2-230D-4345-8F37-E076B13AC55C.jpeg

DC895BD4-B454-436A-AD14-6D77B7C28E51.jpeg

I’m sure you weren’t looking for all that, but I really love all the birds I have. I love my chicken adventure!:celebrate

:lau Well, I’m a bit of a self-described chicken wh*re. To begin with I only wanted regular brown eggs, as I had only ever had white store bought eggs. My first purchase was was Buff Orpingtons, Amberlink, and Red Star. I was a happy chicken keeper until I really began to read up on the different breeds and that’s when I went a little rogue and ordered one each of the following breeds: Australorp, BCM, RIR, Blue Ameraucana (Black), SGDorking, GLW, CW, Buckeye, Barnevelder, Partridge Cochin, CCL, EE, NHR, WPR, BPR, SS, Dom. Male & female of each Welsummer and SLW and three NN (from TSC straight run bin. 2M/1F). I really wanted some OE so I hatched out some of my fertile eggs (Welsummer over EE, CW, BPR, and WPR) and out of 12 chicks there were only 4 pullets, 2 were OE. :yesss: Anyway, I kept 5 of those hatched (January 2019) and order 12 more little pullets in March. Two of each BCM, BO, Partridge OE, Partridge Penes, Blue Ameraucana (Blk and Splash) and finally one Super Blue Egger and CCL. Whew, that is an exhausting list, but I LOVE them all. Some, of course, more than others. Other than my OG’s (Original Gangsta hens), I believe the one I’m most proud of is the little cockerel I have raised. He’s #13 and so far is perfect. He was the first one of my incubated eggs to hatch. He is a Welsummer/BPR cross and is beautiful. The barring is there with a little of the Welsummer reds coming through and he looked like his steely gray barring was rusting a little, thus I named him Rusty.
View attachment 1886797

He is now the only male running around with 37 females (all breeding age) and is having the time of his life. I’m sure he’ll be all grouchy a little later when most of the girls start molting and tell him NO. He does have the 12 little ones that are absolutely in love with him and he has done a wonderful job pulling them into the main flock. Here he is with a few of the new ones.
View attachment 1886809
View attachment 1886799

View attachment 1886806

I’m sure you weren’t looking for all that, but I really love all the birds I have. I love my chicken adventure!:celebrate

I love it, I'm so happy you shared! This thread is for anyone to talk about their flocks not just me.

Rusty is a handsome young man, he looks very happy with his girls.

I'm kind of jealous :lol: If I had more room I would definitely have more variety.

@BlueBaby did you ever process one of your Bresse for the table? I thought you'd someone showed you how to butcher?

No, I didn't. I seemed to sell those a lot, and the one NN/Breese rooster that would have been processed, my neighbor decided that she wanted to save it from that fate. :gig It was the 2 Australorp rooster's and that CCLB rooster that were processed.

Edit: You are in lock-down now, aren't you?

Last edited:
No, I didn't. I seemed to sell those a lot, and the one NN/Breese rooster that would have been processed, my neighbor decided that she wanted to save it from that fate. :gig It was the 2 Australorp rooster's and that CCLB rooster that were processed.

Edit: You are in lock-down now, aren't you?

Yes, humidity at 60%. Just updated my staggered hatch thread.

View attachment 1886797

View attachment 1886809
View attachment 1886799

View attachment 1886806

Wow, what a great assortment of birds! Loved seeing the photos too :D

Back
Top Bottom