I’ve had a chance to think things over a bit. It’s not realistic to enclose the coop yard; there’s a big tree in the middle of it and two coops in there that are 6+ feet each. I feel like I should give it a full year before I keep chickens again, that’s a long time but I really don’t want to start the cycle over again. So I’m going to try Runner ducks. I’ve read quite a bit about them and I think ducks may offer some advantages over chickens, primarily their ability to forage under water which can be kept deeper than what pigeons would be able to manage. I also read about feeding schedules and found a few ideas that will help regardless of fowl type that I think will work for me. I miss having the chickens to care for, maybe ducks will be an acceptable substitute for now. Hatching eggs arrive next week.

I’ve had a chance to think things over a bit. It’s not realistic to enclose the coop yard; there’s a big tree in the middle of it and two coops in there that are 6+ feet each. I feel like I should give it a full year before I keep chickens again, that’s a long time but I really don’t want to start the cycle over again. So I’m going to try Runner ducks. I’ve read quite a bit about them and I think ducks may offer some advantages over chickens, primarily their ability to forage under water which can be kept deeper than what pigeons would be able to manage. I also read about feeding schedules and found a few ideas that will help regardless of fowl type that I think will work for me. I miss having the chickens to care for, maybe ducks will be an acceptable substitute for now. Hatching eggs arrive next week.

I love the idea of ducks for you IM! And Runners are adorable :) Since I've never raised ducks I can't swear this is true, but I've read ducks are less susceptible to diseases than chickens.

This is exciting...ducklings! Best of luck with the eggs :fl

I love the idea of ducks for you IM! And Runners are adorable :) Since I've never raised ducks I can't swear this is true, but I've read ducks are less susceptible to diseases than chickens.

This is exciting...ducklings! Best of luck with the eggs :fl
Thank you!! I’ve read the same thing about them. Plus no crowing to irritate neighbors if I get a drake. I hope this is a good idea, I just miss that part of my day so much. I spent a lot of time with my flock regardless of weather and now I feel kinda lost without them.

Thank you!! I’ve read the same thing about them. Plus no crowing to irritate neighbors if I get a drake. I hope this is a good idea, I just miss that part of my day so much. I spent a lot of time with my flock regardless of weather and now I feel kinda lost without them.

Yep, they do leave a hole in the day when they aren't around. :hugs

But ducklings, there just isn't hardly anything cuter than those. That will be a fun new thing for you to try out!

Ducks are so much fun, you'll enjoy them so much 🙂 we had Rouen ducks and I loved them. They are not chickens, but they are fun and messy. 🤗🤗 Debby is right about ducklings, they are the cutest 😍

Ducks are so much fun, you'll enjoy them so much 🙂 we had Rouen ducks and I loved them. They are not chickens, but they are fun and messy. 🤗🤗 Debby is right about ducklings, they are the cutest 😍
Thanks Sue! I dunno, Turken chicks are hard to beat in the cute department. I think it’ll be fun though.

I think my son had runner ducks...they loved them! I'm so excited to follow the hatch!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom