Thanks for the info! Was that in a good way?
The smell? Um... no. The duck eggs gave me really obnoxious gas. :sick :oops: Food in general gives me gas, but this was bad.

For Instant Pot butternut squash:

Cut the squash into chunks. (Mine are 1" to 1.5" chunks.) Put them in a steamer basket sitting on the trivet/lifter rack thingie that comes with the IP. Pour 1 cup water in, close it up and cook at pressure for 8 minutes. Quick release the pressure when it's done.

This is soooo much faster than baking it in the oven! Which is great when I don't plan an hour ahead. Which is most of the time. :lau

Late last winter, my butternut squash was starting to spoil, so I cooked all the still good stuff to put into pint jars and freeze. It did take a while, but if I'd had to bake them all, I would have not bothered and just chucked them. So the Instant Pot saved the day, and I have a few pints of last year's squash in the freezer.

The smell? Um... no. The duck eggs gave me really obnoxious gas. :sick :oops: Food in general gives me gas, but this was bad.

For Instant Pot butternut squash:

Cut the squash into chunks. (Mine are 1" to 1.5" chunks.) Put them in a steamer basket sitting on the trivet/lifter rack thingie that comes with the IP. Pour 1 cup water in, close it up and cook at pressure for 8 minutes. Quick release the pressure when it's done.

This is soooo much faster than baking it in the oven! Which is great when I don't plan an hour ahead. Which is most of the time. :lau
Thanks for the tips! I’m going to try that this winter.
By m
I love my IP. It’s not that brand but the same concept and I’ve had it for years. I use mine a lot for shredded meats and to cook chicken in summer. Keeps a lot of the heat out of the kitchen and as you said, it’s quick.

Late last winter, my butternut squash was starting to spoil, so I cooked all the still good stuff to put into pint jars and freeze. It did take a while, but if I'd had to bake them all, I would have not bothered and just chucked them. So the Instant Pot saved the day, and I have a few pints of last year's squash in the freezer.
I would end up with that issue, good idea! I bet that makes it easy when you’re too tired or busy to cook.

I cooked all the still good stuff to put into pint jars and freeze. It did take a while,
This is why I grow butternut. The neck is solid squash, and there's a lot of it. I can scrape out the cavity and get that part of it too, if I want. If I have 12 starting-to-rot squash, I can cut the cavity part in half and throw it in the freezer as is, for chicken treats later on. The neck has enough squash to make it worth while by itself. Butternut is the only squash I grow. Lot of bang for the buck.

Aren't Instant Pots (and other brands) wonderful? It changed my life in the kitchen.

This is why I grow butternut. The neck is solid squash, and there's a lot of it. I can scrape out the cavity and get that part of it too, if I want. If I have 12 starting-to-rot squash, I can cut the cavity part in half and throw it in the freezer as is, for chicken treats later on. The neck has enough squash to make it worth while by itself. Butternut is the only squash I grow. Lot of bang for the buck.

Aren't Instant Pots (and other brands) wonderful? It changed my life in the kitchen.
ya my mother used to hate cooking but a instant pot (we call it a insta pot) has changed her tast for cooking!

I’ve never grown butternut but we do enjoy it a lot. Actually I think I tried but it died. It’s probably the number one winter squash I buy but we like acorn too.
The thing I’ve noticed about ducks is that they need stuff cut up. Either that or my flock hasn’t figured out how to eat watermelon. The chickens tore through just about anything I put out for them and they loved squash too.

Getting closer to breakfast
4B12AD11-FF08-40E7-AF3E-5FDC578322E9.jpeg
ADE52DFF-2CB7-43CA-9965-771CDF9730DB.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom