Full-shade duck proof plants

Galaxyfalcon

Songster
May 25, 2020
Eastern WA
We're trying to spruce up our duck habitat/yard with some plants and grass. We've got a giant willow tree that provides a lot of really nice shade in the hot months but unfortunately blocks a couple of sections of the yard from getting sunlight almost entirely. I've found the grass is doing very poorly in those areas and was considering replacing it with a full shade ground cover of some kind.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with duck-proof plants (especially shade plants) but any experience or other resources would be hugely helpful. Mainly concerned with groundcover and plants they can nestle up in or walk on without eating or getting sick if they eat.

We're trying to spruce up our duck habitat/yard with some plants and grass. We've got a giant willow tree that provides a lot of really nice shade in the hot months but unfortunately blocks a couple of sections of the yard from getting sunlight almost entirely. I've found the grass is doing very poorly in those areas and was considering replacing it with a full shade ground cover of some kind.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with duck-proof plants (especially shade plants) but any experience or other resources would be hugely helpful. Mainly concerned with groundcover and plants they can nestle up in or walk on without eating or getting sick if they eat.

Hi there! I’m relatively new to raising ducks, but I’m also a book worm.. so Ive researched so much so that I expect my Avian Veterinary license in the mail any day now lol ... you can safely plant Hostas, which are shade loving and hardy. There’s some really pretty varieties out there as well. You can plant any mint, which also helps deter insects. Echinacea and marigolds are fine too, they don’t need too much sun ive learned and are excellent for duck health. I’ve completely redone my backyard to accommodate my ducks, and have planted all of those I mentioned. One last thought, worst case, you could use planters and pots.. they are moveable. You could keep them in your area and every now and then put them out in the sun.

Back
Top Bottom