FULL Sized bus - Chicken coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Gammond, May 16, 2017.

1. Gammond

Gammond Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2016
    Central BC, Canada
    We have access to a free bus... was thinking of converting it to a chicken coop. We will have a huge outside run as well... What are your thoughts? Like I mention in the comments - I'm a little concerned about ventilation.. I would have to keep the roosts away from open window breezes.
    Last edited: May 16, 2017
  2. SueT

SueT Overrun With Chickens

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    I love the idea...if you do it, be sure to post pics!
    Gammond likes this.
  3. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    I saw a chicken coop mini van on here somewhere, I'd post a link, but I'm still finding my way around, so I can't find it, but I think it sounds awesome!
    We have a chicken coop food truck in town right now, it is a school bus, and the back part, the kitchen, looks like a big chicken coop. Lol
  4. dawnd13

dawnd13 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2015
    Prescott, Arizona
    I haven't done this myself, but I know a lady in Montana that has uses an bus as her coop and she says it works great. I'm not sure how she has converted it, but last time I saw her she about 40-50 chickens. I think it's a great idea if your area will allow it.
  5. Gammond

Gammond Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2016
    Central BC, Canada
    I'm a little worried about ventilation in the winter... If we crack most of the windows, I guess I will have to make sure the breeze is not in direct line with roosting height.
  6. BuckeyeFoodie

BuckeyeFoodie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    In my coop (16x12, 8 feet tall) I have found that it is spacious enough that quickly opening the door when I do daily feedings in the worst part of winter has been good enough for ventilation as long as I keep on top of cleaning the bedding - and even that is about once a month in the non-duck-waterer areas that stay nice and dry, bedded about two-three inches deep with shavings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by