Fully Formed Chick *Icky Pics Warning*

Quote:
Shell color doesn't cause humidity or moisture exchange issues. Could you please explain what you mean here?

According to some research that I did when I had the failed hatches, the really dark shells have smaller pores. It makes the air exchange more difficult. On the first 2 hatches, I had the humidity at 65-75% or so in a still air bator and they drowned. The successful hatch was at 60% in a circulated air bator. Did great!

Last edited:
If they were shipped eggs I'd say that probably had more to do with it than the fact they were dark shelled. Also the fact that you used a forced air incubator the second time also more than likely made a difference. 75% is too high for an egg no matter what color the shell is.

Quote:
Let me clear this up. These were local, hand delivered to me eggs. I had the humidity at 65-75% during hatch only and was able to successfully hatch out 4 buckeyes and 3 BB Orps in that incubator. No other chick drowned in that incubation except the Cuckoo Marans. So, I looked up hatching dark eggs and it suggested trying slightly lower humidity. I read that the dark coating on the eggs causes there to be smaller pores and limits the air flow in and out of the shell. So I lowered my humidity a bit and used the circulated air bator to assist and got a great hatch. All eggs that developed, hatched. Myth or not, I was pleased with the hatch and will use the circulated air bator and slightly lower humidity from now on with Marans.

We all have to do what we've learned works for us.
smile.png

Thanks for clearing that up. The way the statement read it was the entire hatch had high humidity. When building the homemade incubators it is a similar situation you have to find the right combination of elements that lead to a successful hatch.

Interestingly, through the years of hatching eggs, we have often had a thunderstorm about day 16-18 regardless to incubator or brood hen, duck or goose.
Most of you folks claim where you don't believe this is a factor. Be it where I live and other poultry folks in the same type area with a lot of granite ledge and moisture in the ground.
We have even noticed a heavy T-storm year with wild geese, loons and ducks in the wild.

Back
Top Bottom