fun, quirky, and cute names.

You just reminded me about a year ago a dog attacked on of my ducks and broke its wing. I can not drive, did not have a car, so a friend took me on the back of his motorbike to the vets with the duck.

The duck sat on my lap quite happily - seemed to really like the ride. When we had to stop a red lights the duck would stick out its neck and look around at all the other bikes and cars in wonder, while quacking loudly. Lots of funny looks from other people and children loved to see her.

At the vets there were lots of posh little dogs yapping and cats in boxes. My duck happily waddling around the waiting room, helping herself to some food and water form the bowl provided for the dogs. She even frightened one dog away! Everyone was laughing.

The vest said they never had anyone bring in a duck before. People thought I should just eat her. The vets were very kind and strapped up her wing and gave injections. The did not even charge me! I had to go back 2 more times (the duck now loving the bike ride).

Now if I go out with anyone on a motorbike she will look so sad, like she wants to come along too!
That's awesome. I get enough funny looks from my own family, I couldn't imagine what the public would react like! It sounds like your duck had a lot of fun though, and i'm glad your vet took such good care of her. That makes me wonder why people think a duck would be such a weird pet...other people keep spiders and snakes for heaven sake.
lol.png

I have taken one of mine to the vet before because of an injury, and people thought I were crazy for spending a lot of money on duck. The fact is that I would do it again, if there was a possibility that it could be saved. Mine are pets as well and I feel like they depend on me for survival and that's the responsibility that comes along with it. It makes me feel good that I'm not the only one who are crazy about ducks!
big_smile.png
Well, it's like, why would we buy them, and put time, and care into them if we weren't going to provide them with what they need when they're sick, or hurt? If we just let them pass away when we can prevent them from doing so, what would be the point in getting them to begin with. I'd do just about anything for my Swedish!

This reminds me of a few days ago; I had Blue Belle out in the big kid pool, keeping an eye on her because the sides of the pool are tall and she can't quite climb out of it on her own when she suddenly goes very quiet. If anyone knows this duck, they know she's never quiet! she's so talkative, so when she does you know something is weird. I watched her for a second, and realized that she was trying to look at something up in the sky...she had her head cocked side ways so she could see it. So I look up and... I don't see anything. I started to try to get her attention back on her pool when I spotted a hawk circling our property! I snatched Blue up quickly, and took her in the house before she could even quack. I found out afterwards that there were actually two hawks circling our house, and fortunately they decided our chickens were too big for an easy meal....luckily the bantams were put away!

We just got some baby ducks today. They were supposed to go under a broody hen but she wouldn't take to them so they are being raised in the house now. (My poor husband!) My four year old named them. There is a yellow one who is her favourite and she named her/him Ming-Ming. The other four don't have set names yet, but she has varied between Daisy, Rosie, Peach, Duck, Dash, and Cassius. I really like Whimsy and Karma from this thread, so may suggest those for two of them. Or we have two chocolate and yellow ones so maybe I'll suggest chocolate bar names (Camino and Kit Kat, hehe).

We just got some baby ducks today. They were supposed to go under a broody hen but she wouldn't take to them so they are being raised in the house now. (My poor husband!) My four year old named them. There is a yellow one who is her favourite and she named her/him Ming-Ming. The other four don't have set names yet, but she has varied between Daisy, Rosie, Peach, Duck, Dash, and Cassius. I really like Whimsy and Karma from this thread, so may suggest those for two of them. Or we have two chocolate and yellow ones so maybe I'll suggest chocolate bar names (Camino and Kit Kat, hehe).
Before I even had my ducks I knew that I wanted to name one of my females Whimsy. Its just one of those names I loved! And Karma is a bit of a crazy filly, but she's fun too. Id vote for those names! Not that I'm biased or anything.
wink.png

My sister has two goats, one of them she ended up naming Twix. :)

Just ordered 5 chocolate indian runners and can't wait! Going to name them when I see there personalities.
The polish hen in my profile picture her name is Brain (Via my brother lol) she is my absolute favorite! Soo sweet. She was attacked by dogs when she was 8weeks tore her back open I was so scared she wasn't going to make it but I have an awesome friendship with my local vet thank goodness! He stapled her up and 1month later she's as good as new! Lays an egg every day and always meets me at the coop door!:love

Back
Top Bottom