Fungus Gnats!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by usschicago1, Oct 6, 2011.

1. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Fungus Gnats have taken over my room! I have about 30+ potted plants and every pot is LOADED with the gnats. I HAVE dehydrated my plants constantly for months, but they are so prevalent after a watering I see a bunch all over again! I just watered all my plants with hot water, I read online that works. What is a way i can get them out to stay out? I dont mind using chemicals.

Thanks
    MArk

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    What the heck is a fungus gnat?

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Careful with the hot water. If it is hot enough to kill gnats, it will also kill the plants. And, yeah, what the heck are 'fungus gnats'?

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Never heard of fungus gnats?? Do you mean those little fruit fly type things??

5. BigSkyChickens

BigSkyChickens Free Bird

Apr 3, 2009
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    The plant lady at my office said to mix in sand. The sharp texture of the sand kills the eggs.....
    Good luck!

6. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Try this stuff http://www.gardensalive.com/product.asp?pn=3440 it works great. Each year I use it when I bring my plants inside the greenhouse from their summer vacation. I mix it up and drench the pots when they come in. The faster you get after them the better. Granted it is expensive initially but a little bit goes a long way and it keeps forever.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  7. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Wait?! You mean to tell me that the recent infestation of fruit flies I got in my house is from my plants I brought back in??

Never happened before that I recall. I thought these were fruit flies..... Is there a difference?

Dag I come here to learn about chickens and I still learn something new every day! [​IMG]

8. RaZ

RaZ Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Caseville, MI
    It is my hope that before people reach for the chemical spray they first identify what the pest really is. Common names can be problematic in identifying a pest. "Fungus gnats" here are a small fly that needs standing water for the larval stage of their progeny. Not usually found in soil or potted plants.

You might have a different pest in your area with the same common name. Contact your local Extension Office and ask them or take in a sample for proper identification and treatment.

However, you can try a quick solution. Mix some Dawn dish soap in a spray bottle ande hose down your plants. The soap dries on the insects and smothers them without harming the plant. You may need to do it a couple of times to take care of new hatches of the little buggers. I do this each fall to the potted plants that I bring in to over-winter.

I did this a few days ago and while spraying a plant, I found a female praying mantis. That plant I didn't spray. I'm hoping that Ms. Mantis will lay her eggs and hatch a new brood of beneficial insects.

Good luck

9. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Quote:Had the same problem when I was trying to grow millet for the birds. Man they sure were nasty. They made larvae too, like tiny NASTY little maggots. Yuck!!!.... I have two plants in my window sill now, some sprouted apricot seeds, and a purple pitcher plant. And I have a bottle filled with water, with ivy pouring out of it.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  10. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Hope I don't get them again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by