Fungus?

mrowell

Hatching
5 Years
Nov 29, 2014
Our ISA Brown hen, Dorothy, has a fungus-like coloring on the right side of her head. The other side is normal-looking, a reddish color. Does anyone know what this is and if so, should we be concerned/how should we treat her?

Welcome to BYC. So glad you joined us.

I'm not sure what it is, but could be fowl pox?

I would post the photo and question under emergencies, and hopefully the more experience can help.

Thank you, sunflour! I will look up fowl pox and post the photo on the other forum.

A quik google search shows it could be fungal….but they list the source would be from fungus in food or water. I think you need the correct likely diagnosis to decide how to treat. Please let me know what you find and how your chicken fairs.

That is what I read too. It seems unlikely because our feed is kept in the shed in an air-tight container and is less than a month old. We also change out the water daily. It has been really rainy here lately though (Durham NC) so it's possible that could have caused an issue. Thanks for the support! I will keep you updated.

There are fungi and mold spores floating all over most places.....didn't necessarily come from the feed.
Could be environmental (already existing in your yard/soil) and exacerbated by the rainy weather...or could be from bedding(straw/hay) brought in.

Sorry for the delay-we had a sick little chicken who is now doing much better thanks to some vitamins, treats and extra attention. Thanks for the responses. So it looks like it is fowl pox after all. The area has become scabby and has spread up Dorothy's comb as well. We are treating with iodine (with kelp) daily. Any other suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom