1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

funky egg with stretch mark/healed crack???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jster, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Jster

Jster Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2007
    Okay, funky egg here. Anyone have one like this? It's as if there was a crack that healed/sealed up. Is it safe to eat?

[​IMG]

2. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    looks like the egg has strecth marks. Do the float test. But when in doubt, throw it out. Sorry can't really help you. I've never seen anything like that yet.[​IMG]

3. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

draw 2 eyes on it,, and a small beard below it ,, and call him "eggrwardo the eggnastic egg puppet" he could make ya millionares [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    I think I see Jesus in that cracked egg!!! har har har... jk. I am guessing here, but what might have happened is that the egg cracked while it was being laid, however the membrane inside the shell did not. Just a guess. Who knows with these chickens? I don't think they know either. It's just nature taking its course. It is probably fine to eat, as it doesn't seem the membrane to the egg was broken - but the previously mentioned addage(sp?) holds true - "when in doubt... throw it out".

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I had one once with a hairline crack going the other way. I cracked it open. it looked ok so I ate it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by