Funny how my girls will not eat kale or collards, but tear up some

BethieofVA

Songster
9 Years
Mar 27, 2010
Yorktown, Virginia
spinach. My four chickens do not free range, although have a very large run,so I supplement with greens. I gave them collards yesterday and they just picked, ate a few bites. I gave this kale prior and nothing. I know they love spinach, so I took them a huge handful this morning. They go crazy, too funny. I would think the would enjoy all greens. I was hoping for my yolks to orange up a bit. Any other food suggestions?

Thanks!

grass clippings which I'm sure is a no-brainer......and pumpkin. The seeds are a natural wormer of sorts too. Where are you in Va? I am in central Va. -)

Quote:
I am in Yorktown. I gave them pumpkin seeds fresh from a sugar pumpkin and they have been laying on the ground for a week! Grass clippings I do, when the grass is growing and needs to be cut.

Mine LOVE collards! We give them a leaf or two during the colder months, then the entire plant when we pull them up in the summer. They eat the whole thing in a day or two!

They also love grapes, cantaloupe (and seeds) and tomatoes.

My chickens seem to have been born with snouts
pop.gif
instead of beaks...they eat everything!
idunno.gif
LOL I just
fl.gif
that they will like the layer feed when I switch in the next week or so.
woot.gif
it's almost that time! I know what ya'll mean about the "expected mommy" reference!

Chickens often need to have a food offered several times in the beginning, to learn that it's safe and good to eat. I'd try offering it again, mixed or sprinkled with something they like and are used to eating. You can also tear it into smaller pieces, if the leaves are extremely large. My chickens have snubbed many foods that they now enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom